The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 Excursion with an antifreeze leak @ rear of the oil cooler header. How does the cooler tube come apart from the front and rear headers so I can replace the o rings??

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have it off the engine but figured while I was replacing the gaskets I might as well change the o rings while its off, don't know how it comes apart

·
282 Posts
You have to just pull and pry. Spray it with some pb blaster to loosen up the orings. Then lube it up with some CAT oring lube or other similar oring lube(works alot better than assembly lube or grease) and squeeze it back together.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have to just pull and pry. Spray it with some pb blaster to loosen up the orings. Then lube it up with some CAT oring lube or other similar oring lube(works alot better than assembly lube or grease) and squeeze it back together.
Thanx Golddigger,, didn't wanna force it if there was a hidden clip or something I didn't see....

·
645 Posts
they can be tough to squeeze back together, I have put some in the press, but this is the way I like to do it, it is much easier with the truck on lift. I undo the Left motor mount bolt and put a shallow socket in between the the mount and frame to lift the engine up a bit to make some room.

remove the oil cooler assembly. pull, pry, bang it (plastic mallet) apart. clean ti ect.

to put it back together i put the install the front aluminum piece on the engine then with new o rings all lubed up I place the cooler and the oil filter converter up into place then take a 3 foot pry bar, and use the exhaust manifold as a pivit piont and push the cooler assembly all together then while holding together I install the bolts in the filter converter.

you wile have to fool around a bit to get the end of the pry bar right on the manifold

1 - 5 of 5 Posts