The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is prolly a biased place to ask but I'm looking for a truck. Seems the 6.0's have a lot of problems and are still very expensive. What are the major differences? Are the 7.3's still as efficient and powerful? Need some advice!!!

·
STROKIN' IT
287 Posts
i have a 7.3 and i like it alot... the 6.0's are better if you are wanting to go fast but from what i have heard from numorous ppl the 7.3 will pull better than a 6-LEAKER anyday... oh and 7.3's are much more reliable!!

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
388 Posts
cmkworm said:
I know this is prolly a biased place to ask but I'm looking for a truck. Seems the 6.0's have a lot of problems and are still very expensive. What are the major differences? Are the 7.3's still as efficient and powerful? Need some advice!!!
ive owned both and im currently runnin a 7.3 psd ...it seems to pull better and its more reliable ....just my opinion...guess it depends on what your gonna do with it..both good engines though:Thumbup:

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
I've also owned more than one and I like the latest :)

and have never had a problem with any of them other than my 02 7.3 that was bought back by ford...

And it pulls everything I need :) 400+HP & 720+ lbft and a great 5 speed auto does super :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
depending on how much your gonna drive it i wouldn't rule out the V10.. i owned one of them and as long as your not running it up and down the road everyday it was a awsome truck and cheaper to buy and maintenance than my powerstroke... but if your going to drive it much the 12MPG will catch up pretty quick

as for diesels i would either take a 7.3 or a 6.0... but i would have a oasis report done on the 6L to make sure it wasn't one with gremlins

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on using a chip, exhaust, and intake. So, you all think the 73 might hold up to it better? How much slower would it be than a comprable 60? I hear a lot of head problems with the chipped 60's.

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
Hmm... my 03 had a predator for 45K miles and only reason I traded it was that I wanted the last year of the Excursions...
the 05 has had an sct on it since new....

·
Registered
97 Posts
7.3 is proven. I like the 6.0 and it seems to be getting more reliable, but as far as an 03 or 04, ehhh, I wouldn't. I love my truck, but my dads 6.0 is a pretty awesome puller too. The tranny is amazing especially cuz you can have 4.10s and still run 100mph easy. Gotta love 5 gears! He has an 04 and only a few sensors have gone out, nothing huge, but I would definitely invest in a scanner if you bought a 6.0, sensors go out and you don't even know it. His would idle up and down and run rough sometimes. Its all up to you whether you want to take a risk with the 6.0 or go with the proven engine, the 7.3. Just my .02.

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
7.3L with a ICP mod = tool on a stock 6.0. the 7.3 makes way more torque below 2000 rpms, even in stock forum. the 6.0 is a lot quieter and has a much better transmission and top end power. it all depends what youre after but there are more then a few of us that prefer the 7.3s over the 6.0s, i dont think the 6.0 is a bad motor at all i just like the "old school" 7.3 more.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Here's my logic FWIW. You can buy an '02 or '03 7.3L for about half the price that you can buy a new 6.0. I would only want an '05 or '06 6.0 because it only makes sense that they have had more time to 'work the bugs out', to borrow the colloquialism.
So, a 7.3 PSD pmt is $400/month and a new 6.0 pmt is $800/month. How many months do you think it would take for the 7.3 to be just as fast or faster than the 6.0?
Not to mention what some have already covered. The 7.3 is a torque monster and it 'feels' stronger than the 6.0 of the same respective HP levels.
I'm not biased, I had to make this decision before I bought my truck in Dec, I could've had either truck and decided to go with the 7.3 for these reasons.
FWIW, my uncle bought an '03 6.0 and it has NEVER been right, still isn't. Just though I would add that to the 'list'.

·
FORD For Off Road Driving
209 Posts
Yeah, I still dont like the 6.0's too much. Im not convinced that the "bugs" are worked out yet. I know there a WHOLE lot better than when they first came out but I will keep my 7.3 forever!!! maybe in 5 to 10 more years they will have motor similar to the 7.3 in reliability but who knows.
I vote 7.3 man!!! You cant substitut cubic inches!! 444 vs a 360 !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts