The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the 7.3 we have is rated at 250HP. I have know idea what the torque numbers are. I have two questions.

1-would upgrading it to 350 be a detriment to the drive line?

2-how would one achieve this increase.

Of course, maybe I should concern myself with torque improvements. This is a towing application after all.

·
272 Posts
:peelout....upgrading the power will hurt the transmission..... quicker if its a heavy truck like crew cab, extended cab, 4x4 ....but 350hp wont hurt the transmission in a regular cab 2wd.....unless you are :peelout around every stop light.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy,

this is a f550 4x4 with a 12' landscaper body w/automatic, must weigh 8500-9000lbs...not sure.
It will have to pull skid/trailer combo of 12,500, or a chipper at 5,700lb.
It's hilly here, and I was looking for a boost just for the hills.

·
2,509 Posts
what year is your truck? the upgrades to make that powwr will be differamnt depending on the year. i am assuming its a 2000-2003
if so a custom chip, exhaust, diy intake and a gtp38r turbo would probably get you close to that 350 mark but not quite there. add a set of stage one single shot injectors and it would be a mean towing machine:D

as for the tranny I really dont know I'm a stick guy, but hopefully some one else will chime in on that

·
9 Posts
If you are stil using the stock size tires I would only upgrade the tranny fluid cooler. Replace it with one from and 05-06 superduty. I would also recommend getting a Banks TransCommand to firm up your tranny or a programmer that has tranny adjustment capabilities. I am running 37s on my truck and tow a 28 foot toy box with quads and bikes in it through the mountains and I have never had a problem with the tranny.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
You can spend a ton of cash making it go a wee bit faster and maybe, just maybe making it a tad more fuel efficient.

open exhaust, open intake, custom efficiency tune, gauges, valve body (until the tranny decides to go for good, which it will with any power adders, and likely in short order).

Unless you're prepared to spend a lot of coin on this truck, do the things listed above and save your pennies for a built transmission.

Adding power to a 9,500 lb truck as a daily driver is a crapshoot, at best.

prt

·
272 Posts
You can spend a ton of cash making it go a wee bit faster and maybe, just maybe making it a tad more fuel efficient.

open exhaust, open intake, custom efficiency tune, gauges, valve body (until the tranny decides to go for good, which it will with any power adders, and likely in short order).

Unless you're prepared to spend a lot of coin on this truck, do the things listed above and save your pennies for a built transmission.

Adding power to a 9,500 lb truck as a daily driver is a crapshoot, at best.

prt

:whs

·
812 Posts
if it was me i would open up the exhaust and intake. get a chip from a good tuner like, swamps, beans, gearhead. then a good torque converter and BTS or JWs valve body. then you will need a set of stage 1s and maybe a turbo.

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
what year is your truck? the upgrades to make that powwr will be differamnt depending on the year. i am assuming its a 2000-2003
if so a custom chip, exhaust, diy intake and a gtp38r turbo would probably get you close to that 350 mark but not quite there. add a set of stage one single shot injectors and it would be a mean towing machine:D

as for the tranny I really dont know I'm a stick guy, but hopefully some one else will chime in on that
i agree with ross my truck has all those things he suggested including a bigger intercooler

my truck weighs 9,500lbs and is a towing torque beast and has been very reliable after i changed out the bad cps and blew up a gearvendors overdrive

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking for a little something...

for pulling the hills around here, nothing more. This could be subtle, so, maybe letting her breath better might be the ticket.
Hmm........ intake, downpipe and free-flow exhaust???

·
73 Posts
Sorry to jump in on this but what's the best way to do a 94.5? I've done the 6637 so far and find the ol girl dawgs out when the 30' travel trailer's on it. I'm assuming an open exhaust with downpipe will be the second biggest change, but what's a good chip for this? It's all about pullin this trailer to Florida and back from Canada. :gaah

·
296 Posts
check the vendors and i have found that a good downpipe for a obs is a stock s/d 7.3 down pipe

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone...

added a new air filter, muffler and downpipe to the existing 3" exhaust with favorable results?

·
191 Posts
added a new air filter, muffler and downpipe to the existing 3" exhaust with favorable results?
I had in my OBS with good results (but IIRC the stock exhaust is 3 1/2", at least in the OBS): a little better perfomance, better MPG, less EGTs, you feel more power?, you hear better your turbo whistle.
Then I went with a 4" pipe with an free flow muffler and got a little more good results (you cant messure them but they are there ;) ).

·
812 Posts
Old Body Style, Original Body Style, Old But Sexy:roflol: meaning the 95-97 powerstroke body style.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts