The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #24
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 7.3 and he is complaining that when he drives around town sometimes it just shuts off. What could this be? Fuel filter has been changed and it only does it stop and go.

thanks guys,

AUG

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Cps?......

·
TDG Mafia Member #24
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's a cps?

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Cam Position Sensor.....

·
TDG Mafia Member #24
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, is this a common thing?

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Oh yeah....7.3's are notorious for it...I had 2 though and never replaced a single one....just got lucky I guess.

·
TDG Mafia Member #24
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan.:Thumbup:

·
4,024 Posts
I've replaced several, usually a 10 min job unless the bozo before put a stripped off bolt in.
They are pretty proud of them at the stealership a little cheaper at napa

If you're not in a rush, ebay is the cheapest place I've found them.
Alot of 7.3 owners carry a spare cps and 10mm socket in the truck as sometimes when they puke the truck is dead till it's replaced. Carry a spare and save the towing.
If you need help or more info PM or pager me.

Dave

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
yup another vote for the CPS

·
833 Posts
Yet another vote for the CPS

Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
(Ford) F6TZ-12K073-A 94-96
(Ford) F7TZ-12K073-A 97+
(International) 1821720C99 (below engine 375548)
(International) 1825899C93 (above engine 375548)
(International) 1807339C92 (DT466 CPS, reported to advance timing, and stronger signal)
Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) O-Ring
(Ford) F81Z-12B615-BA)
(International) 1824948C1
See "O-Rings" for Individual O-Ring sizes

·
FORD For Off Road Driving
209 Posts
yeah, CPS most likely.

·
Registered
268 Posts
has he done any mods to the factory air box recently
my 02 did the same thing, techs thought cps, it turned out to be the IDM grounding wire attached to the drivers side inner fender right behind the air box near the power dis. panel
it was loose enough to periodically loose ground and shut off

·
Registered
9 Posts
What if the truck is not shutting off completely. It is stop and go, but I could be at a stop sign and the truck acts like it is going to die then starts running fine. Very intermitent, has happened twice in two weeks??? Same problem?

·
Registered
325 Posts
BKWilhelmy said:
What if the truck is not shutting off completely. It is stop and go, but I could be at a stop sign and the truck acts like it is going to die then starts running fine. Very intermitent, has happened twice in two weeks??? Same problem?
the UVC harness will make them do that or the clips (or lack of) that hold them on the injectors... or if any of the other connections aren't very good

·
Registered
325 Posts
it stands for under valve cover harnes... ford made the valve cover gaskets together with a wiring harness that fires the injextors.. it connects the plug on your valve cover to the injectors themselves

it looks like a valve cover gasket with wires

i would check it out pretty quick if you suspect that because they have a nasty habbit of taking out the IDM (injector driver module) when they are going out... mine did $$$

there are some how to's somewhere on the net about how to check the UVC harness with a ohm meter without removing anything but the plug on the outside but i don't remember where they are

1 - 18 of 18 Posts