The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my PSD 7.3 was parked on a slight incline. It started and drove off a little ways then spit and sputtered then died. It won't restart. I checked the oil which was a little low.... added 3 qts and it's where it should be on the stick.

I replaced the CPS about a year ago but, figured I'd change it again.... nothing. It turns over and acts like it wants to start sometimes but, mainly just bellows a lot of white smoke as if it's just dumping fuel ( flooding )

Put it on a scanner which showed no codes present. The oil and fuel filter was changed a month ago along with new air filters. New GP's about 2 years ago but, never changed the relay.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated :happymugs

·
151 Posts
How long was it parked on the incline? How full is the tank? Does the tach bounce while cranking? WTS light come on and go off like normal? Oil level in the HPOP good?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Raymond... I'm in Commerce now and will be there in the morning. My plan was to pick his brain also but, figured there was a knowledge from here to be had.

I wish I had a 7.3 manual... it would help a lot.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long was it parked on the incline? How full is the tank? Does the tach bounce while cranking? WTS light come on and go off like normal? Oil level in the HPOP good?

only a couple hours. The tank is very low on fuel but, I pulled the water drain and fuel came out....don't think the filter was dry. Yes, the WTS light is working fine. I never checked the HPOP for one cause I don't know where it's at and another, because I know nothing about the 7.3. It's also a van so everything is very difficult to get too.

One thing I noticed is the oil psi doesn't come up until it's be cranking for a while. Then it starts to really drain the battery and blow white smoke ( definitely fuel ) . Is it normal to come up on psi late like that ?

·
TwinStacks
184 Posts
could be the fuel pump. when mine went bad it happend out of the blue. pulled out the driveway, spit and sputtered and then died. when cranking it would blow out white smoke.

the pump would come on and you could her it spin but something inside was broken and wouldnt pull the fuel.

just some food for thought...good luck:shrugs

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
definitely will check that. I would think though with all the smoke it's pumping fuel.... too much it seems to the point it's flooding

·
928 Posts
Similar situation just happened to me, was the IPR.

·
928 Posts
Injector Pressure Regulator

The tech told me the truck needs a certain amount of fuel pressure to start and if the IPR fails you don't get the required pressure.

·
8,265 Posts
What shape are the batteries in Ty? I had that similar problem years ago...and ended up being the batteries. They had enough umph to spin the motor...but not enough left over for the computer to get all the injectors to fire. Replaced both and haven't had any issues.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I got it running. Thanks for all the responses guys.

Dave, yes my batteries do need some attention as does the whole van but, I don't believe they were the problem this time.

I got the van off the side of the road back to my shop. I was so pissed at it ( I was stuck from 10am till 4pm ) :bang I just left it sit over the weekend. Went to work on it today and though I'd give it one more try. What do you know.... it started. Ran like hell but, ended up clearing up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I assume after being on a incline with it being 3qts low on oil and very low on fuel..... air worked it's way into the system. It was able to built the oil psi needed to run the injectors so it just dumped fuel. Seems to be ok now after blowing out down the road a few times.

I'm wondering now, why after a month from changing the oil it was 3qts low. Do these motors use a lot of oil ? It has it's leaks but, I've never seen 3qts of leaking.

·
151 Posts
No, you shouldn't be burning that much oil. If you're burning oil, you should see some evidence in smoke out the tailpipe. If you suspect a leak, grab a flashlight and check the valley (top of motor between the heads). The 7.3 can hold over a quart on top where most of the leaks originate, but being parked on an incline should have drained that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts