The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright - after replacing the ICP about 1000 miles ago, the truck ran well. It began hesitating a little over the weekend and grew TERRIBLE during Sunday and today....

I decided to replace the Fuel Filter as a precaution, and did about 10 minutes ago - fired it up, let it run about 5 minutes, backed out of the driveway, it cut off on me, and now it won't restart.

Any ideas?

Oil Level is not a problem, Fuel Level is not a problem - I did the CPS recall, but I am going to go out right now and look. I am worried that sounds like the culprit. EDIT - just looked, and I have the Gray one....

Thoughts?

EDIT again - I show nothing on the Tach when I crank it over, and I believe that signal comes from the CMP (CPS) doesn't it?

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced CPS, started up, drove 200 feet, cut off??
Can hear the fuel pump on the frame rail running.

When I took the cap off the fuel bowl and cranked it it filled the bowl in about 10-12 seconds. Is that sufficient fuel pressure?

NO smoke at all.....

·
634 Posts

When I took the cap off the fuel bowl and cranked it it filled the bowl in about 10-12 seconds. Is that sufficient fuel pressure?

NO smoke at all.....
Do a fuel pressure test. Have you done a buzz test on the injectors.

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started up, drove about 200 feet, crapped out on me, wouldn't restart??

When I took the cap off the fuel bowl and cranked it it filled the bowl in about 10-12 seconds. Is that sufficient fuel pressure? It will build pressure in the bowl such that when you let the drain petcock out it comes squirting out.

NO smoke at all.....

It just sat for a while and when i just cranked it, it started and ran for the briefest of seconds, and now won't restart at all?

No codes.

It is almost as if it isn't getting any fuel at all?

·
3 Posts
Mine did the same thing couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be feul pump. Funny thing i could hear it running & felt the virbration & it was still bad.

·
634 Posts
Mine did the same thing couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be feul pump. Funny thing i could hear it running & felt the virbration & it was still bad.
I want him to test the pressure first, even though you had a simular symptoms, doesn't neccesarily mean that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
You need to get it on a scanner . . .

We can throw ideas at you all day long, but you need to find out if there's something amiss in there that can be traced before you start throwing parts at it.

Now, with all that said, there are still lots of reasons.

Still could be fuel pressure, could be your IDM, could be . . . could be . . .

Does it idle OK?

prt

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to get it on a scanner . . .

We can throw ideas at you all day long, but you need to find out if there's something amiss in there that can be traced before you start throwing parts at it.

Now, with all that said, there are still lots of reasons.

Still could be fuel pressure, could be your IDM, could be . . . could be . . .

Does it idle OK?

prt
Won't idle, won't even start. I let it sit for about 2 hours and when I cranked it it fired and ran for about a half a second (like there was just a little fuel left in) and then died. Now it certainly doesn't do anything but crank over.

I have an OBDII scanner I bought from Advance.

Update - this morning I just decided to crank it over and it fired up, and ran like it did yesterday morning - with the hesitation present.

Should add - It is full of oil, the fuel bowl heater has not blown the GP fuse, all fuses/relays have been swapped with other fuses/relays, I checked the PCM and it is tight, still no codes.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
An OBDII scanner from Advance ain't likely to tell you much.

You need a Snap-On Modis, and NGS or another similar professional scanner with the correct database of information installed.

Have you checked the harnesses under the valve covers? The hesitation leads me to think you have an issue with the injectors firing (IDM, injector harness, or injector issue).

prt

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An OBDII scanner from Advance ain't likely to tell you much.

You need a Snap-On Modis, and NGS or another similar professional scanner with the correct database of information installed.

Have you checked the harnesses under the valve covers? The hesitation leads me to think you have an issue with the injectors firing (IDM, injector harness, or injector issue).

prt
Are you talking about the ones that are about half way back on the valve covers on the "inside"? If so they both appear to be in great shape, and are not loose/broken in any way....

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Yes, those are the ones to which I was referring.

At this point, I would go back to basics - fire vs. fuel - which are you not getting sufficiently.

Pick one and rule it out completely.

If it starts, it has compression - thus the fire is covered. Or you have a sudden compression loss (how likely is that?). What else could affect this?

Hesitates - fuel issue - myriad of electronics ranging from basic wiring all the way to mechanical issues with the injectors themselves.

Where are you located?

Maybe there's someone close by with a scanner . . . Auto Enginuity is portable (laptop installation) and if you can find someone close by willing to assist . . .

prt

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hesitates - fuel issue - myriad of electronics ranging from basic wiring all the way to mechanical issues with the injectors themselves.

Where are you located?

prt
Yeah - I just feel like it might be fuel related at this point. I am in Yorktown, VA.

I wonder if the ICM is a problem and isn't communicating the right amount of fuel introduction? Causing not only the hesitation but in worse case scenarios, a not-start situation. Would be hard to think it was injectors in their individual form seeing as how it just plain wouldn't start yesterday.

The truck has basically lived its life as a daily driver - In the last 30k miles it has only had a trailer behind if for probably about 200 so it has had an easy life - plus I drive it like an old woman.

·
634 Posts
Yeah - I just feel like it might be fuel related at this point. I am in Yorktown, VA.

I wonder if the ICM is a problem and isn't communicating the right amount of fuel introduction? Causing not only the hesitation but in worse case scenarios, a not-start situation. Would be hard to think it was injectors in their individual form seeing as how it just plain wouldn't start yesterday.

The truck has basically lived its life as a daily driver - In the last 30k miles it has only had a trailer behind if for probably about 200 so it has had an easy life - plus I drive it like an old woman.
You'd be surprised with todays technology anything is possible and anything could effect pretty much a no start, especially with so many sensors adapted to a vehicle now or days as well.

Have you checked the voltage on your IDM? also have you checked your fuel pressure in the fuel pump yet? these are pretty important man.

All we can do is sit here and tell you idea's like PRT said, if you don't have a scanner your screwed, we can only tell what something maybe for so long. a MODIS will tell you what's wrong better then we could.

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'd be surprised with todays technology anything is possible and anything could effect pretty much a no start, especially with so many sensors adapted to a vehicle now or days as well.

Have you checked the voltage on your IDM? also have you checked your fuel pressure in the fuel pump yet? these are pretty important man.

All we can do is sit here and tell you idea's like PRT said, if you don't have a scanner your screwed, we can only tell what something maybe for so long. a MODIS will tell you what's wrong better then we could.
I actually just got the IDM pulled out, and was searching for the OHM testing method. For some reason I am not to inclined to think it is fuel pressure related due to the way it wouldn't start, etc.....

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ended up cleaning the IPR as I read about that on here. Now it runs without hesitation but seems like it is only running on 7 cylinders. Knocks a little harder than normal.

Anyone in the Newport News/Yorktown VA area that could loan me an IDM to try out, or have a scanner that can work on PSD's??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts