The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing a 9th-Gen. F250 Super-Crew, Short-Bed. The goal is to build a custom, show worthy, truck that runs on Bio-Diesel. I have always been a fan of displacement, thus the 7.3L Power Stroke seems to be the best.

My questions to you are relative to aftermarket engine tuning and dress-up. With regards to performance, I have seen the Banks tuning package, which should offer 125+ horsepower to the stock 210. Is there much else that I can do, maybe to get me to the 400-500 horsepower mark? Also, I have been left under the impression that Ford & Chevy Diesel V8 engines are derived off their popular gasoline blocks. If this is the case, will standard and aftermarket Ford valve covers, etc. fit the 7.3L Power Stroke? I would love to see a set of black, finned valve covers, much like the "Cobra" valve covers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to ask about gas mileage...will there be a major difference in gas mileage of a tuned 7.3L Power Stroke vs. a 6.0L?

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
UHHH, First stop looking at banks, 2 the Diesel engines are nothing like the Gas engines the diesel engines are infact not even Ford or Dodge or Chevy Engines. I guess chevy is close to owning their engine since it is from Isuzu.

the 7.3 is an International engine.

as far as milage for a 7.3 to a 6.0 They are pretty much the same. either tuned vs tuned or stock vs stock.

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
get a dp and run from banks.
ask anyone on here

·
Registered
687 Posts
You have alot of options for tuning. DP Tuner or Elite Diesel or Tony Wildman if I could ever manage to remember the name of that place. Talk to them, they'll hook you up with what your lookin for.

All are leaps and bounds above the generic tuners/chips. Nothing really WRONG with Banks, just that its mostly WAY overpriced, and WAY underachieving compared to what you could get for the same/less money.

You'll need more than tuning to hit 500 in a 7.3, injectors, probs a turbo, HPOP, some other crud that costs a bunch.

You could always just Powdercoat your stock valve covers, IC tubes, etc. I've never seen aftermarket covers, but I've never really looked to be honest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine dress-up isn't that big of a hurdle; I could, just like you said, paint or coat the engine parts I seek to be dressed.

With regards to engine performance, I found GTS Motorsports who appears to offer a great wealth of upgrade components for the 7.3L motor. I don't know if all that + the DP Tuner chip will do it however, it seems like a great deal of stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts