The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has a 700 raptor and how does it compare to a 660? I had a 660 in 2001. I loved it. I was just wondering if the 700 is better and why or why not?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
i have ridden the rappy 700 its a quick machine the fuel injection is real responsive a stock 700 will smoke a piped, cammed, high compression 660 one thing i dont like is the EFI in the cold it dont run good at all until it is warmed up and the EFI is real wierd when its cold i would buy a 700 over a 660 any day i like the motor alot better the way it rides and the way it handles best of all it is lower and wider then the 660

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
the 700 rappy is a sweet machine. Nice wide A Arms, fuel injection, beefed tranny, diff tires and a whole stable of improvements....id buy one!

Dom

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I figure in a couple of years, i am going to buy a used one. I was wondering about them because i am a huge fan of the 5 valve design and for the 700, they went with a 4 valve dual overhead cam.

·
1,155 Posts
700 blows the 660 away.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
mikeym said:
700 blows the 660 away.
it really does it will eat my buddies 660

·
Senior Member, on a stick
265 Posts
I have an '03 660, piped, jetted, K&N, and geared. My buddy just bought an anniversery edition 700, so I will let you know real soon how it compares.

·
diesel weenie
113 Posts
I rode the Duncan Racing 700. Piped, Filtered, Fully suspended.

So nice. I would definately buy one. Power pulls from low RPM's to High. Smooth and fast.

But they had a lot of high dollar mods on theirs.

The stock one I rode was nice too. Way above and beyond the old 660.

·
147 Posts
My hats off to the 700 and love the efi but the 660 cant just be brushed off in my opinion. I like the 660s snappy power and the off the bottom pounce. I like the ease of the efi for jetting and modifing but if altitude wasnt a concern i would take a bored and stroked 660 but thats me. But thats just me but then again if you look at my sig you can tell im a mechanical fuel kind of man.

Rick

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
all i can say is wait for Honda's fuel injected 700 ex- you know its coming and just that thought is making those tuning forks tremble everywhere

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
skinz0021 said:
all i can say is wait for Honda's fuel injected 700 ex- you know its coming and just that thought is making those tuning forks tremble everywhere
I am really not much on hondas. Everyone that I have ever had was detuned so much for longetivity, it couldn't do what i wanted.

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
i rode the 700 raptor and it is fast but, honda is like dodge.

they make the 450r and everyone else went bigger, dodge made the hemi and chevy just matched it.

dodge just came out with 2 new hemi motors, honda will have one that will take over til someone else makes a 1000cc

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
skinz0021 said:
i rode the 700 raptor and it is fast but, honda is like dodge.

they make the 450r and everyone else went bigger, dodge made the hemi and chevy just matched it.

dodge just came out with 2 new hemi motors, honda will have one that will take over til someone else makes a 1000cc

The old 318's were bullet proof, but the new hemi's really don't blow my skirt up-the ones that I have driven anyway.

Honda came out with the 400ex first then yamaha came out with the 660R then the 450YFZ. Then honda came out with the 450r IIRC.

If reliability is what you want, then honda is great, but I have had alot of luck out of yamaha's with reliability and power. Thanks for the info though.

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
as far as honda to dodge thing-after the 450r yamaha went to 700 efi

like dodge waited to be matched then show the newer hemis.

i had 2 hemis and loved them-except the less than 10 mpg in the last one, but i did put 37x12.5x20 bfg all terrains on stock gears.

dad has a hemi gtx now and it is pretty quick and has a good overall smooth ride.

i just think it is interesting that you can take a 2wd reg cab and add 2000-5000 and beat a lightning or srt10 and have 1/2 the $$$ invested.

·
GOT BEER?
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe what yamaha is doing, is testing the 700 motor before they put it in their griz like they did with the 660. They sell more utility than sport 4wheelers.

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
but most will not let that fly since its not stock! there is always an excuse-i want to fab a 600 cbr motor in a 450r frame just for terds and giggles.

i got the frame just need some susp. parts and a motor lots of time and welding wire.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
yea it would

·
2,655 Posts
you know, I like 4-wheelers and have'n good power but where is it goning to end? At what point is enough, enough? Shouldn't there be a set limit on CC's.......somewhere? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts