The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking at a 1973 f-250 highboy and I think I'm gonna buy it. And I am wanting to put a diesel in it. I was wanting to put a cummins in one but then I found out you have to buy a $3000 kit to just get everything to work with a ford... So now I am wanting to know what all you would have to do to put a 7.3 idi in one. That's what I have in my ford and it's a pretty good old motor. So does anybody know what all you would have to do to put a idi in the 73, anything big? Thanks guys!

·
2,819 Posts
I had a 69 crew cab I was gathering the parts I required to install a 5.9 Cummins. I had to let the biuld go but it would not have been that hard to drop my Cummins in it. There are a lot of stock parts you can use from late model Fords that will help. And, if you do not mind mixing and matching Dodge and Ford parts there are even more options. I like my conversions to look stock so I was sticking with Ford factory parts. It also helps if you know a little something about welding. I would have preferred to drop in a 7.3 IDI, but I have Cummins already so I figured why not.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks man. So everything should work with the 7.3 idi like the transmission and will I have to buy a wiring harness or anything like that like you have to buy for a cummins? cummins you have to buy a dodge transmission and wiring harness and is there any other big things you have to buy to get a cummins to work in a ford? The haness it's self is like 3 grand right? Thanks

·
2,819 Posts
Where are you getting these prices from? Which Cummins are you planning to use? I priced out everything I needed for waaaaaay less. Right now I am putting together a parts list using OEM Ford parts to help me drop that 12V Cummins into a 96 F350 chassis.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i don't really know and good parts places.. i know of LMC Truck Parts. And i would like to put a 12V in it.

·
2,819 Posts
You will not have any luck with them. Just go find a Ford that came stock with an oil burner it and look at all the stuff it has to make it work. Then you can start putting your list together.

·
1,836 Posts
The cheap way is to take Dodge engine/trans from a 95 or earlier, 94/95 have the driveshaft on the left, earlier is on the right. The 205 transfer case can be clocked by mixing the parts Ford with Dodge.

destroked.com has adapter plates and flexplate/flywheel adapters in the $1500 range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts