The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to do one soon. It's leaking down the side of the block. How hard is it ? Anything tricky ? Any special tools required ? Not familiar with these engines. Valve train mech or hyd ? Also is the gasket one piece or multiple ? New headbolts or reuse old ones ?
Thanks

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One piece, no tricks, all mech (tru 8.3 P series), no trick tools, old head bolts unless rusted to pitting (or comes in Kit [i.e. aftermarket]), easiest one you'll ever do (cept maybe a 466IH). :thumbsup
That's what I want to hear. Just bagged a service manual off Ebay for 93 series L so hopefully it will have specs for valve adjustment. If not the guys over at the Stealership are pretty good to me(since I support the place so well with my never ending parts bill) so I can probably get it from them. I have only done headgaskets on large diesels twice. ONe was a 6v53 which I still have nightmares from and the other was a 285 Mack which IIRC was a PIA too with the fire rings . Thanks.

·
4,827 Posts
VERY easy job, as the engine goes. Hopefully you don't have a bunch of crap in the way.

May not always be necessary, but I always replace the head bolts. At least ones with high hours or miles. Just piece of mind.

·
1,138 Posts
Just remenber that there is some head bolt under the injectors. The injectors have to come out to get to them. I saw a know it all mechanic all most had the front wheel off of the ground trying to pick up the head. He ask if i thought he should drive a screw driver between the head and block and i said no but pull the injectors and see what is under them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts