The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running this combo having issues with rough idle? Got one driving me crazy. Tried stamped trims, 5232's, 6999's and anything across the board. Hood shakes when idling, and hear missing in exhaust. Clears up above 1000 rpm's...

Fresh inframe, and 10R-8502's....narrowed it down to #1 and 2....replaced with more 10R's....seemed better for a few miles, then back to shaky idle...

Any ideas before going back to stock stick and inj's????

·
2,824 Posts
I found, I had to convince myself if it dosen't miss under a hard pull there is nothing wrong with it.
That's about the bulk of it, the idle quality isnt there with the truck engine programming, or maybe that's not even it, how often is a marine engine at idle, more so would you even feel it in a boat?

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guess your also running the 600 file in it?
I ran a factory 550/1850 (305-2778) file after the inframe, and it still did it. Now running the tuned 600 file. This morning I did a cut out test, and #1 made no difference while idling, but did change at any rpm above idle. All the others made a diff at idle. I guess quality Cat injectors.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
:)i dont have this combo!!!but you have a hw engine the trim codes are industrial, with a cam marine, the last 2 , have the very long timing, then I think that have to do is retard the time of ignition of the cramshaft(1 to 8)electronic remember the cranshafth is a smart sensor yo can move:) :shrugs so that match all,

·
128 Posts
When the cam was put in, I also swapped out the pacs that were in there for a set of 340A jakes and had them rebuilt. If I could use my jake everywhere i'd never need to touch my brakes but i'm never driving the truck loaded either.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I ran a factory 550/1850 (305-2778) file after the inframe, and it still did it. Now running the tuned 600 file. This morning I did a cut out test, and #1 made no difference while idling, but did change at any rpm above idle. All the others made a diff at idle. I guess quality Cat injectors.....
If you can check output on ET I can give you some trim numbers to match the rest by flow (tho you may be dropping four and not raising one or two as you have the two biggest ones there are, tho 6999 and 9969 idle ruf anyway). Made a file sheet on all the trims at various fuel positions and RPM's to match output.

·
525 Posts
I tried sleeping in the bunk with the truck running for the first this week and yes,it does have more vibration that I guess is the cam. The bigger question,Sled,is "HOW DOES IT RUN???" The 600 file,cam,and injectors should be a sweet combo. Is it? How about smoke? A buddy is building a motor with that combo except 55 injectors. We're hoping it's not too smokey.

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can check output on ET I can give you some trim numbers to match the rest by flow (tho you may be dropping four and not raising one or two as you have the two biggest ones there are, tho 6999 and 9969 idle ruf anyway). Made a file sheet on all the trims at various fuel positions and RPM's to match output.
Thanks Tony...I have ET....just a little new to it....always had Pro Link until last month. The trims are...

The funny thing is some with factory trims shake with their respective numbers, while running smooth with hot codes.....I've replaced 3 with more remans, and now only one is shaking...I think. You will have to school me on what you are talking about....

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried sleeping in the bunk with the truck running for the first this week and yes,it does have more vibration that I guess is the cam. The bigger question,Sled,is "HOW DOES IT RUN???" The 600 file,cam,and injectors should be a sweet combo. Is it? How about smoke? A buddy is building a motor with that combo except 55 injectors. We're hoping it's not too smokey.
Doug, honestly it was a horse....WAS....until I installed 3 more injectors. It seemed to lose its strength. But, I'm afraid my factory ATAAC is not big enough for the power, as I am having high intake temps while pulling hard with high boost. EGT is fine thanks to the new nozzle band housing. (Which, by the way, you need to try.)
Not sure whats going on. I'm minutes away from going back to stock cam and 57's.....

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doug, honestly it was a horse....WAS....until I installed 3 more injectors. It seemed to lose its strength. But, I'm afraid my factory ATAAC is not big enough for the power, as I am having high intake temps while pulling hard with high boost. EGT is fine thanks to the new nozzle ring housing. (Which, by the way, you need to try.)
Not sure whats going on. I'm minutes away from going back to stock cam and 57's.....

·
255 Posts
Hey sled, Sorry to hear about the problems your having. It's got me having bad flashbacks. Well you know how I feel about that cam.
But enough about that , how are you liking that nozzle vane housing?? What ring are you running?? Is it living up to all my hype !!:poke

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Thanks Tony...I have ET....just a little new to it....always had Pro Link until last month. The trims are...

The funny thing is some with factory trims shake with their respective numbers, while running smooth with hot codes.....I've replaced 3 with more remans, and now only one is shaking...I think. You will have to school me on what you are talking about....
Misunderstood. I have 80 or 90 codes with the actual output flow of each, so if an injector fires hi or low you can adjust it with the trim code to make it smoother. For instance, 1110 @ 5.22 fuel position at 800RPM in 19.5CC output...etc...

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey sled, Sorry to hear about the problems your having. It's got me having bad flashbacks. Well you know how I feel about that cam.
But enough about that , how are you liking that nozzle vane housing?? What ring are you running?? Is it living up to all my hype !!:poke
Darren, whoever designed the nozzle housing did their homework. Like yourself, I have tried every turbo on the planet. What flowed good on top, was slow to spool...what spooled fast on the bottom, gave up on the top side. This housing has cured EVERY problem I had. I am running the 10 vane ring. The 13 is still in the box wrapped in plastic. I have not felt the need to try the 13 as the 10 is perfect in every way. High EGT is no longer an issue...I really have to lug the sh*t out of it to get to 1000...even with the 600 file.

Im going to stay with a factory 550/1850 file with the 800 cam and 58 injectors. After hours of changing injectors, I found 6 of the 9 I bought to finally idle and run smooth. If I run the 600 file, I will get high intake air temps while pulling hard on a long grade. I suppose my ATAAC is not up to the job. No leaks, just not very efficient I suppose.

Thanks again to you, and all who helped.

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doug, smoke will roll if I drive like Im on a drag strip, but if Im easy through the gears, smoke is minimal. Like I told Swann...the 600 file gives me high intake air temps on hard pulls, so Im sticking with a 550/1850 file. Maybe when cold weather comes around again, I'll go back to 600. After I replaced my ATAAC for the second time, it never really seemed to be as efficient as the original one. All came from KW, so who knows. After I get over this inframe, maybe a Duralite cooler.....

Thanks for the info...Eric

Reactions: justdoug

·
255 Posts
Darren, whoever designed the nozzle housing did their homework. Like yourself, I have tried every turbo on the planet. What flowed good on top, was slow to spool...what spooled fast on the bottom, gave up on the top side. This housing has cured EVERY problem I had. I am running the 10 vane ring. The 13 is still in the box wrapped in plastic. I have not felt the need to try the 13 as the 10 is perfect in every way. High EGT is no longer an issue...I really have to lug the sh*t out of it to get to 1000...even with the 600 file.

Im going to stay with a factory 550/1850 file with the 800 cam and 58 injectors. After hours of changing injectors, I found 6 of the 9 I bought to finally idle and run smooth. If I run the 600 file, I will get high intake air temps while pulling hard on a long grade. I suppose my ATAAC is not up to the job. No leaks, just not very efficient I suppose.

Thanks again to you, and all who helped.
I told you that's housing is the cats meow. Your results are exactly what I noticed also. The 10 vane ring is what I think works best also. Your egts are even the same as mine. I'm getting great mpg #s with it also.
Glad you got things finnaly figured out there Eric. Now just leave it alone and go truck. Lol!!

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I told you that's housing is the cats meow. Your results are exactly what I noticed also. The 10 vane ring is what I think works best also. Your egts are even the same as mine. I'm getting great mpg #s with it also.
Glad you got things finnaly figured out there Eric. Now just leave it alone and go truck. Lol!!
I have gained a consistent 3/4 to 1 MPG increase. I never would have thought I could hit 6 MPG with a flattop and spread axle reefer....always grossing 81K plus....woops, did I say that out loud?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts