The Diesel Garage banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Have to ask

whats a "59's" and "800 Cam"

we just had to put a cam in a 3406E but went with the stock part number.

Trent

·
2,824 Posts
Have to ask

whats a "59's" and "800 Cam"

we just had to put a cam in a 3406E but went with the stock part number.

Trent
The 58s are the injectors, it's part of the part number, they seem to be one of the highest flowing injectors that was use in a truck engine from the factory.

The 800 cam is the camshaft that is used in the 800hp marine engines, and a decent upgrade for a truck.

Reactions: Lmackattack

·
2,824 Posts
10R-0957 (475hp)
10R-0958 (550hp)
10R-0959 (600+hp??)
The 959s are actually the injectors used with the 800hp cam. I think Mr Haney was running these up until he got a modded set, they wi support some horsepower with the proper ancillary hardware to go with them.

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
10R-0957 (475hp)
10R-0958 (550hp)
10R-0959 (600+hp??)
57's are used in 475 and 550 2WS, 6NZ and 600 7CZ
58's are used in certain 550 6TS, and some others
Like Cody said, 59's are actually for an industrial application. Will not come up as truck engine part number....

·
128 Posts
57's are used in 475 and 550 2WS, 6NZ and 600 7CZ
58's are used in certain 550 6TS, and some others
Like Cody said, 59's are actually for an industrial application. Will not come up as truck engine part number....
58's are also used in a lot of 5EK's

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
1,271 Posts
Cody, Eric, Mr. Haney and anyone else will know more and please help me here.
No first hand experience. i understand that 59's will make big power but be very smokey?...:happymugs

·
128 Posts
Cody, Eric, Mr. Haney and anyone else will know more and please help me here.
No first hand experience. i understand that 59's will make big power but be very smokey?...:happymugs
59's are suppose to be good for at LEAST 150hp but I've heard they won't pass a snap test.

My truck has 59's but had the 800 cam in at the same time as well as a 600hp file. Mine smoke a lot!

·
631 Posts
In a 6NZ 550 the 59 injectors are worth 200+ Hp to the ground. They will not pass a opacity snap throttle test. They flow roughly 50% more fuel than a 57 and need other engine modifications to work in a truck properly.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
In a 6NZ 550 the 59 injectors are worth 200+ Hp to the ground. They will not pass a opacity snap throttle test. They flow roughly 50% more fuel than a 57 and need other engine modifications to work in a truck properly.

wow.. will they work in a 550hp 5Ek with same results?

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
not 100% sure... I thought the 5EK was the better one to be tinkered with of the "E" motor family???

Trent

·
2,824 Posts
not 100% sure... I thought the 5EK was the better one to be tinkered with of the "E" motor family???

Trent
They do respond well to mods, but they do have a weak spot in the block, cat left the bore for a camshaft in the block, and I believe that without the cam in the block it allows too much flex and they will start to crack when pushed over 800. Thats all I can figure, yet for some reason they can push a B/C block over 2000hp without breakage so I really don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
They do respond well to mods, but they do have a weak spot in the block, cat left the bore for a camshaft in the block, and I believe that without the cam in the block it allows too much flex and they will start to crack when pushed over 800. Thats all I can figure, yet for some reason they can push a B/C block over 2000hp without breakage so I really don't know.

Intresting...thats what I love about this place .learn something new everyday!...So the block was machined for a cam but one was never installed. I can see that being the weak spot...Wonder if it helps if you just put a cam in its place just to help strength...hell put your spare cam there for when you need it out on the road LOL!!!

·
1,081 Posts
Isn't the "E" block a couple hundred pounds lighter than a bare 3406 b/c block?

·
128 Posts
The old cam spot has nothing to do with the block strength. They fixed the issue with the block when they went to the 1LW blocks which still have the old cam area. I don't remember exactly but I think it was something about the strength in the main journals. When they went from the 2WS (last of the 3406E) to the 6NZ (same electronics as 2WS) they then took out the cam area and changed the gaskets for better sealing. Really thats the only difference from the 2WS and 6NZ but they called the 6NZ a C15

·
2,824 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, I always heard something about cracking around an oil passage, that's why I thought it had something to do with the cam. Didn't some of the 5ek engines have girdles/block stiffeners from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
So with my stock 5EK 550HP.... if I have my ECM flashed with a 2WS 600HP file, put hot injector codes in, I would be around 650-680 FWHP... would I need any other hard part upgrades?. will she smoke much on the snap test? and I assume i would be driving by the gauges when in any good pull?

any last question howmany versions of the E motors was there? 5EK, 2ws...etc...

Thanks again guys this is just like building hot rods!.

Trent

21 - 40 of 61 Posts