The Diesel Garage banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
2,824 Posts
6 E models if you count the 15.8L engines, and the programming would be for a 5DS I believe, this is the earliest 600 and would prolly be the one to work with the 40 pin ECM.

You would prolly need to upgrade to the stage 1 turbo, mr haney can set you up with one of them.

·
1,081 Posts
Didn't some of the 5ek engines have girdles/block stiffeners from the factory.
Mine has a plate that bolts to the bottom of the block. It isn't half as good as a regular plate for a B/C. Not as thick, and uses only IIRC 8 bolts to hold it in place.

·
128 Posts
So with my stock 5EK 550HP.... if I have my ECM flashed with a 2WS 600HP file, put hot injector codes in, I would be around 650-680 FWHP... would I need any other hard part upgrades?. will she smoke much on the snap test? and I assume i would be driving by the gauges when in any good pull?

any last question howmany versions of the E motors was there? 5EK, 2ws...etc...

Thanks again guys this is just like building hot rods!.

Trent
You need to flash it with a 5DS 600 file. You can't put a 70 pin file in a 40 pin ecm. You don't need to upgrade any other parts when doing the flash but most likely your stock turbo wouldn't last all too long depending on how you drove ti and its current condition.

40 pins 5EK, 6TS, 1LW and 5DS. 70 pins 2WS, 1MM, 6NZ, 7CZ and MBN.

Software is not interchangeable between the 40 and 70 pin ecms. the 5DS is the 15.8L 40 pin and the 1MM is the 15.8L version of the last 3406E with the 70pin ecm. The 7CZ is 15.8L but the same block as the C15 but they called it a C16

·
128 Posts
Mine has a plate that bolts to the bottom of the block. It isn't half as good as a regular plate for a B/C. Not as thick, and uses only IIRC 8 bolts to hold it in place.
Your referring to the plate that the oil pump sump bolts through? I've heard some of the electronic engines have a different plate then others. I don't remember what block has the better one now but one of them is thicker and stronger then the other.

·
631 Posts
The 5EK and 6TS blocks are weak on the right side, along the main oil supply galley that runs the length of the block. The 1LW and 5DS block is a heavier casting in this area.

You can install the girdle support plate from the B-Model engine to the bottom of any 3406 based engine, including a C-15/C-16/C-18 as long as you change the oil pan to accommodate the old style paper gaskets. In fact most Industrial engines use this plate to stiffen the block structure. This plate sandwiches between the oil pan and block, it's also 1/2" thick and utilizes all the oil pan bolts to hold it in place.

·
2,824 Posts
In a 6NZ 550 the 59 injectors are worth 200+ Hp to the ground. They will not pass a opacity snap throttle test. They flow roughly 50% more fuel than a 57 and need other engine modifications to work in a truck properly.
Where does that put the 1000hp injectors in relation to the 959s?

·
1,271 Posts
Found a couple of notes i have saved from previous conversations. Hopefully Mr. Haney will add to this. :happymugs

cat 10R0957 (stock C15 truck) injector tips flow 2.7kg/min,
58s flow 3.107kg/min,
10R0959 (stock C18 marine) injector tips flow 4.7kg/min, thats almost double the flow for a marine engine
1000HP C18 marine injector part # 211-3028 converts to 10R7228, they are injectors from a C18 marine/high hp industrial. They flow 5.5kg/min.

·
1,081 Posts
Found a couple of notes i have saved from previous conversations. Hopefully Mr. Haney will add to this. :happymugs

cat 10R0957 (stock C15 truck) injector tips flow 2.7kg/min,
58s flow 3.107kg/min,
10R0959 (stock C18 marine) injector tips flow 4.7kg/min, thats almost double the flow for a marine engine
1000HP C18 marine injector part # 211-3028 converts to 10R7228, they are injectors from a C18 marine/high hp industrial. They flow 5.5kg/min.
Damn! The 10r7228's would drown my 355 5ek. :roflol:

Mine is running or4895, according to Mr. Haney, they flow 18% less than the 57's. Or 2.2kg/min. :roflol:

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, three days ago I spent one afternoon trying different injectors. Out of the nine 58's, I found 6 that idles smooth. But today, it started shaking while idling again. It has a slight fuel knock, that will go away when I cancel #5. But only while running the 600 file. Not really sure what's going on with this thing....

This cam idled smooth with the 57's, but not new 58's.....

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
that sucks. nothing like putting new parts in and it still runs like crap... I guess the electronic is both good and bad.

Just wondering has anyone been able to hack the Cat ECM to re-program how it controls the engine? just wondering if these cats are like the GM ecu that the hot rodders tinker with?

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Here's the latest.....if I put 5232 in #2 and #6, and the stamped trims in the others, it idles perfect.......any ideas??????

·
2,824 Posts
Here's the latest.....if I put 5232 in #2 and #6, and the stamped trims in the others, it idles perfect.......any ideas??????
If it runs out good, I would leave it. Sounds as though someone didn't get the right code stamped on the injector.

·
525 Posts
I'm with Cody. It's working,you worked hard enough,just back away! Hopefully it's DONE.
Flattop looks great!

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm with Cody. It's working,you worked hard enough,just back away! Hopefully it's DONE.
Flattop looks great!
Not as nice as yours Doug, but thanks anyway!!!

Its still doing good today....still a slight shake in the idle, but not enough to worry about. Now, if I can get the 600 file to work correctly, I'll be set.

Thanks again for all the help...

·
631 Posts
Eric, you are going to drive yourself crazy. The only way to get injectors perfectly smooth is buy new ones(not Reman) and send them to OZ to be re-calibrated properly by ---_---. 6 brand new injectors(not Reman) from CAT can be as much as 12% out of calibration right out of the box with the injector calibration codes programmed into the ECM. The Wizard keeps telling me I need to build a bench here in the USA and set up a shop doing the injector calibrations. I just need roughly $250K to get started with all of the proper tools, equipment and reserve cash until the business can pays it's own bills. Anybody know of a cheap loan shark/loan officer willing to gamble?

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Eric, you are going to drive yourself crazy. The only way to get injectors perfectly smooth is buy new ones(not Reman) and send them to OZ to be re-calibrated properly by ---_---. 6 brand new injectors(not Reman) from CAT can be as much as 12% out of calibration right out of the box with the injector calibration codes programmed into the ECM. The Wizard keeps telling me I need to build a bench here in the USA and set up a shop doing the injector calibrations. I just need roughly $250K to get started with all of the proper tools, equipment and reserve cash until the business can pays it's own bills. Anybody know of a cheap loan shark/loan officer willing to gamble?
Drive myself crazy is already come and gone. I understand what you are saying, Im just frustrated why a set of very high mile 57's run smooth, and Reman 57's and 58's idle like chit.....Thanks again for your help, Kurt.

As far as the $250K goes....cant help you there, as I am in the trucking business.....:roflol:

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
sled not sure if it would help but I wrote down my stock injector codes before I had someone put in hot numbers. if you havent tried that yet I can send them to you ???

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
sled not sure if it would help but I wrote down my stock injector codes before I had someone put in hot numbers. if you havent tried that yet I can send them to you ???
Thanks, but like I said I have it idling smooth as a Singer with 5232 in 2 and 6, and stock trims in the others. Go figure......

Thanks anyway though.....

·
82 Posts
Sounds Good !

I didnt know what to expect when i installed the 800 cam in mine, i saved this post a long time ago -
i have had the cam sitting on the shelf for a few years, well i tore it down just after Christmas and inframed it .
Took my time and cut all 6 counterbores and set the protrusion at .005 to 55, blew the dust off the 6 0R8913's i had up on the shelf -
along side a brand new Cat head.
Just recently bought a set of Head Studs from Extreme Studs.com (really like how these pull down ! )
Set the 800 cam in and fussed on the backlash till it was .010, timing marks were dead on.
Left my current injectors alone ( 0R4893 ) 58's in other words.
Installed a new Vibratech damper and the Pittsburgh Power balancing ring plate.
Running file 1770097 with no's
Well i made smoke last night and have been pleasantly blessed with a smooth running engine, dead smooth.
To give you an idea of how smooth, before the in-frame and any time since the truck was new if you were to leave any tools on a front tire, within -
15 to 20 seconds they would be on the shop floor!, now everything stays put as you can barley tell its running just by feeling the truck.
Throttle feels great, cant wait to drive it, hood goes on it tonight after i rehab the linkage.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts