The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the story. No overdrive, been used for towing. Can't answer yet on the trans condition by looking at the oil pan deposits. I had thought a gas trans and the diesel trans should interchange, it would appear I am wrong about that, as the diesel converter won't fit the gas trans, as well as the fact the diesel converter has 6 bolts vs. the 3 on the gas. Thoughts on what is going on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
gas vs diesel transmission....

That's discouraging news, as I was hoping to drop a 6.2 and a new torque converter into a gas suburban.....

If what you say is true, I'll have to swap out the whole drivetrain to do a gas to diesel conversion? In the General's neverending quest to improve the bottom line, I'd be surprised if they made different casings for gas or diesel 700R4s....

·
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is an interesting discovery... the gas trans has a LARGER input shaft... Must be the gas trans is newer than the diesel, which from looking at the motor would stand to reason, it is at least a 90 or so gas motor, and the trans may well be originally from 83...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.