The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this Acar, it's really a re-branded / slightly improved former White Roadboss 2, which after the 80 or around that time I believed they (Volvo / White / Autocar) killed off the RB2 which became the new Construcktor 2 which they refer to in the repair manual as K series !!??
It was a former water truck for construction company has spent it's time in the Denver area. Here is its base spec outline
Std heavy varying depth section 3/8 frame
FA 14,600 multi leaf w/ twin shocks
RA 58k SSHD on Hendrickson RS rubber block
445hp 8V92TA Detroit Diesel
15sp Fuller
1500 sq/in radiator

Overall it's in very good condition, hood is really good, interior is rough and horrible tan saddle color, truck was originally red / orange mono chromatic frame & cab. The truck sat for 4 yrs, I arrived hooked up 2 old car batteries, checked fluid levels, quick squirt ether, it fired right up, sounded great.
I'm going back in couple weeks time change oil filters & coolant, mount up taillights and mudflaps drive it back to MT.

Attachments

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Looks like you have something to work with there. The 8V92's could be a problem but that late in the game it's probably a "Silver" series which were pretty good engines.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, it's a silver, DD get a bad rap, there a lot better than most the haters will know.

·
2,824 Posts
Looks very similar to the white road boss.

Are you saying that anyone that has had a bad experience with a Detroit is automatically a hater?

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, re DD. just purchased couple Autocar sales brochures, 83 Construcktor 2 owners book & workshop repair, Volvo/White/Autocar killed off the RB2 RoadBoss name along with the Autocar U series, improved it some what and relaunched / rebranded the RB2 as the Autocar Construcktor 2, the repair manual refers to as K series. They had 3 BBC lengths with 2 axle Set Back options in the late 70's, think the options were reduced in the 80's, 83 owners book only mentions 2 BBC.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think the previous owner has a problem with numbers, dyslexia (which I also suffer ) was told its an 85, the CO title just arrived and its an 83, well that matches the yr list on the engine valve cover but, when checking engine model # that turn out to be a non-highway / industrial listing ? Called helpful Volvo SLC dealer, there computer system couldn't check VIN for model # but it did throw up a parts listing. So from my deductions I think it's model number is either

WKM64 of more likely WKM64F, F for forward set axle.

Located a complete chrome grill surround for $100 + shipping it will need re-plating.
Pre home trip:-
Cleaned & polished up a pair Alcoa S/Single 12.25 wheels with 425/65 Yokohama tires, these I will mount on steer, then I can select best of the rest 11R24.5 wheels for the drivers.
Charged up pair of new but stored 12v truck batteries, all I need now is 10 gallons Delo 100 40wt, filters, make a QD hook up taillights & mudflaps which mount on a 2x4 wire tie to frame.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spent a day working on my Acar
Installed new batteries, 12.25 super-singles on steer, swapped out 2 really bad drive tires with the ok old steers, rigged up temp' mudflaps, clean the inside. Just need change filters and engine oil, couldn't find correct 40wt, so have do this when go back for final time in June when it will make its maiden trip home to Bozeman following its 7 years of rest

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are your plans with it?
I really not sure yet ? Wether just make it a toy for shows - sled pulling - diesel drag, or put to work or combination of both ?
Decisions decisions

I was back home a couple weeks ago, removed all interior panels, trans tunnel dog house & center floor section all unbolt s which is great for trans - clutch - back of engine access, especially since the DD has rear accessory drives and that's where the alternator, PS pump & air compressor are driven from.
I need to ether repair the Hendrickson RS suspension or swap it out to later Volvo T-Ride, think I will end up going T-Ride 46k with 4.30 & double lockers, by the time I have Hendrickson re-bushed then deal with gearing upgrade I would spend more keeping with the OE setup.

I have a factory rebuilt 100% blower to install as I believe the only think wrong with the 8V92 is leaky blower seals, of course I won't know for sure until pull the old unit off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts