The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '86 F250 with a 6.9L diesel, with the banks turbo kit. It just seems to be alot slower than I would expect, and I'm trying to find out if something is wrong. I'm not expecting the truck to break any land speed records here, but I have to stomp on it to get up to speed, and the pedal is almost completely against the floor while cruising at 60 mph.

I've cleaned out the air filter, and replaced the fuel filter. I pulled off the turbo intake and tried to wiggle the fan, and it's nice and snug with no sign of bearing wear, and spins freely.

I'm not really sure what else to check. It was suggested that I need to check my fuel injectors, and the injector pump... but I'm not really sure how to go about either. Any advice?

Thanks.

·
14 Posts
Do you have a Exhaust Temp gauge? If so it so like you could crank up the fuel some. do a search on here on how to safely do it. One flat at a time. I know people running around 950-1140* with no problems noted. Maybe someone else will disagree.

·
381 Posts
The 6.9 ain't gonna punch a hole in the wind, but it should dobetter than you're saying. Like 540 said, if it is not black smoking when you are hard into it, it could do more . However, when it does blow black, you need to back out a little. If the exaust is black as coal, your wasting fuel. Also you can advance your pump just a bit. Good luck.---Bob One more thought. Your waste gate may be partially stuck open.---Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts