The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured i would make a thread for my truck build. i have already came along way with it and have lots of pics to share when i figure out how. its a '87 pete 379 3406b cat with a 15 over trans. pretty sure ive read every thread that tony (ynot) had commented on about these engines and think i have figured oput which way i will go with the motor... when that time comes.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres the day i went to look at it and when i picked it up

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i pulled the 60" sleeper off and replaced it with this 48". this one has hard 90* corners on the rear. i cant seam to find any sleeper skirts for it so i will have to have some made from a buddy of mine.

i shaved the cab lights,horns, and spot lights off filled them, then bondoed (spelling?) them smooth. replaced them with 3/4" lights. also had the dash tore completely apart because wiring was a literal rats nest. head lights and cab lights were theonly working lights on the truck. painted the dash while it was out.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the day i set the sleeper on and got everything bolteddown and hooked back up.

Then came the big project. This one took awhile to make sure everything was perfect. Im on a dirtshop barn so nothing is perfectly level.. That was one factor in the time consuming part. first we cut the frame, caged the braked and rolled the axles back. My father had already stretched his to 325" so luckily we didnt go into this blind.

sanded everything down smooth and primered that section for rust purposes

Ordered a 12ga reverse bowtie visor. 13" on the outside 8" in the middle. took me a while to get it coming from canada simply because i couldnt find this length of one here in the u.s. It will be painted to match the truck.

after searching the worl wide web finally found some "chop top" paintable sides that matched my visor.

this will give you an idea of the shape of this truck when i got it. these are the rear bushings for the axles. new and old.

Luckily for me peterbilt had shoved 3ft of extra wiring and airlines under the cab so that was the deciding factor.

Another friend of mine is a pipeline welder so i entrusted him on the metal melting aspect of it. the frame is doubled now along with bolting cross members across the cuts.

Reactions: Cat Attack

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how that last post got so mixed up, sorry about that. :serious:

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Had the hood off so went ahead and started drilling out rivets. ordered a set of "****** custom fenders" for it. the passenger side wasok but the driver side had been patched and riveted from deer sightings so much it was un salvageable.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also just realized this is in the wrong section. Could a admin please move to proper place. thanks

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a sunny day i pulled the truck out to completely primer/paint the frame and suspension.Also set the 5th wheel back on and got it all bolted back down.

Got my set of badazz fenders in after that. they have a 3" lip, 4" longer on the backside with built in mudflap brackets and liners.

here theyare mounted. Also dont have any pictures of it but i built a grille for it out of 1/8" by 1/2" wide aluminum flat bar with 1/2" spacers in between.

·
18 Posts
Sounds like you got a good game plan going on. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have in the purchase of the truck? Are you planning on running the engine as is or you going thru it? Thanks for the pics.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you got a good game plan going on. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have in the purchase of the truck? Are you planning on running the engine as is or you going thru it? Thanks for the pics.
i got the truck for 8. it had been sitting up for about 6 months. the motor hasjust over 40,000 on a complete inframe. its one of the smoothest b models ive heard in a long time. i changed all the fluids, did a radiator flush as well since the water filter was taken off. :bang thats still on the todo list

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the sleeper i bought had a wood floor in it already so that just made the decision to put one in the truck which i wanted to do already. thankfully i did since there was so much trash and dirt under the actual floor plus a hole that wasnt covered up with anything.

after everthing was cleaned up and the hole was patched with aluminum i lined the floor with a product similar to dynamat. plan on doing the same thing to the doors and headliner.

the holes for the seat

i glued it all together even though it was the snap type just for added strength.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
next is my flea market score. a set of leslie p3 train horns. theses dudes are huge. still havent figured out where im going to mount them yet. got them dirt cheap as the man said that only one chime was working.

one diaghphram was full of dirt daubers nests and the other was put on completely wrong. the *** for the air was bent up so the air was not even getting to that diaghphram.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts