The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Just bought a 1988 F250 with 7.3 diesel and going to equip for welding business. I know very little about the pros and cons of this truck, (except that I like it so far), and would appreciate any and all opinions as well as your time. No idea about the mileage, but motor seems strong. Seller said he'd recently had transmission replaced by a "friend", and it shifts out 3 speeds, but shifts really hard like a shift kit has been installed. Can't wait to get a load on it! Thanks fellas

·
48 Posts
Nice motor ... Sounds like you have a C6 tranny ... Not bad ... You won't be getting much over 22 mpg ... No matter what you do ... I like the pre-electronic rigs because of the cost of parts and ease of working on them ... Only real electrical is the stereo, glow plugs, starter and fuel shut-off ... Oh ... And the lights ...

Reactions: eyecutter

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir! Had to see a transmission mechanic yesterday who basically said the same thing. Said he has same engine in one of his tow trucks, (non-turbo he called it), and says its a very tough engine. Unfortunately the tranny is toast. But, thanks to his comments, comments made by the guy at Goodyear where I bought my new tires, and your reply, I have no second thoughts about investing the money in a transmission.
Thanks again

·
1911 single stack
215 Posts
I had an 88 f-250 untill monday I bought a new hunting truck. The 88 was a 4x4 reg cab 460 C-6 the trans I never had a prob with but overall a great sound truck. Good luck with her she will last many years.

Jake

Reactions: eyecutter

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure appreciate your response. Trucks in trans. shop and can't wait to get it on the road, off the road, just ready to drive! Great looking truck of your's by the way
Thanks again

·
48 Posts
ps. magusjinx; Thank you for your service
For some reason I still am impressed with a thanks when it isn't a holiday ... Means all that much more ... Someone buy that kid a beer ...
:salute

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
hard to go wrong with that drive train combo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts