The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor has 303k miles on it, is my truck to drive to work. Started out surging, stuttering and running rough, thought it was bad fuel so I've changed the filter 3 times now, first time the sediment bowl had some water and crap in it but last 2 seem to have been ok, pulled some fuel out to sample it but last couple checks show no water in it. Last week on start up it started blowing a lot of whiteish smoke and smells strongly of fuel, no coolant.
Ford tech said it sounded like injector pump, injectors had been replaced at 188k mi. and pump had been checked out ok previously to that but I suppose it's time to replace some parts.
I'm going to put a new fuel pump on just because, and have priced out a new injector pump and injectors at Diesel Care Inc. for about $375 + the cores.
Anyone have any other ideas on things to consider before going this route, am wondering if I possibly just have a bad injector or two. Air leak? Motor still ran fine and started reliably, it still starts fine but running like crap and blowing smoke.
Thanx in advance for any help-Jay

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A wondering if their is any kind of filter sock on the fuel tank pickups on these older trucks that can get plugged off?
Changed out lift pump today and no change in running quality, still smoking alot and stuttering/ surging. Guess injectors will be next then injector pump.:damnit:beer

·
3,533 Posts
I would be looking more towards checking the cylinders for lack of compression. Re move the glow plugs and with an adapter pressurize the cylinder looking for the problem, or do a compression test.
Or you could remove the exhaust manifolds and see if it is from all cylinders or just a couple.
Diagnosis by the ripping and tearing method is a very costly way to fix a problem.
You need information

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bought a $114 diesel comp. tester and did comp. test on cyls., all were from 330-375 psi. Diesel repair shop told me to look for 300-400 psi. Got any nore ideas? Reman injectors helped a little, motor starts and idles a lot better but can still feel a miss or stutter when driving down road. Less white smoke but still some on startup, smells like fuel, no coolant smell, not loosing coolant either. Am aware of electrolysis problem with right rear cylinder on these motors.
Waiting to talk to Ford dealer after 4th of July holiday before going ahead with anything else.
Can get a rebuilt injector pump from DieselCare Inc. for $325 + $125 core charge. Their reman Delphi Injectors seem to be fine at $16.84 ea.For now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts