The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 89 IDI for a buddy he wanted me to turn up the pump. So I did now its acting up. The truck had an intermittent start problem before he bought it. He worked on it for the previous owner. Put on a elect. lift pump no more start problem. I turned up the pump and advanced the pump timing a little bit. I drove it and every thing was good had more pep. Now today I replace the valve cover gaskets and drove it again. Noticed a timing knock while on the road at steady speed so looked in to it when got back to the house. If you let it sit and idle it will start to knock like preignition knock then if you throttle it up it will almost run away then come back down to idle speed. Then does the same thing again. I think the pump is messing up. I can move the advance arm on the side of the pump and it doesn't change sound when it starts the knocking. The knock goes away after it revs up for a min then goes back to knocking again. Has any one on ever advanced the pump timing on these or is that not a good idea? I think maybe the govneror in the pump maybe messing up reason for the start problem before. but not sure. :shrugs

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
I'm working on a 89 IDI for a buddy he wanted me to turn up the pump. So I did now its acting up. The truck had an intermittent start problem before he bought it. He worked on it for the previous owner. Put on a elect. lift pump no more start problem. I turned up the pump and advanced the pump timing a little bit. I drove it and every thing was good had more pep. Now today I replace the valve cover gaskets and drove it again. Noticed a timing knock while on the road at steady speed so looked in to it when got back to the house. If you let it sit and idle it will start to knock like preignition knock then if you throttle it up it will almost run away then come back down to idle speed. Then does the same thing again. I think the pump is messing up. I can move the advance arm on the side of the pump and it doesn't change sound when it starts the knocking. The knock goes away after it revs up for a min then goes back to knocking again. Has any one on ever advanced the pump timing on these or is that not a good idea? I think maybe the govneror in the pump maybe messing up reason for the start problem before. but not sure. :shrugs
How much did you turn the injector pump up when you advanced the timing, which direction did you do?

How much did you turn the pump up?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts