The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking on getting a 89 cummins complete runnig engine with 150000 miles what kind of mods can i do to it home made and after market going to do 79 chevy conversion

01 quad cab 5spd 265000 miles cold air intake afe, cooler tubz, duel electric fans, Holley blue pump, edge jucie att. hot unlock, schied lighting pump, .093 connector tubes, ats head studs not on yet, 250 hp injector not on yet, duel 6 inch aussy stacks, 4 inch lift, eagle alloys, 35x12.50x16.5 bfg's, ranch hand front and rear bumpers

01 reg cab 5spd 266000 miles cold air intake afe, cooler tubz, single electric fan, Holley blue pump, edge jucie att. hot unlock, .093 connector tubes, duel 5 inch miter stacks, leveling kit, American racing wheels, 33x12.50x16.5 bfg's, ranch hand front and rear bumpers

·
3,514 Posts
Whats the budget and what are the goals? With the 89' you will have 9mm injector tips, so you are a little limited on the available injectors, unless you go as far as switching heads. You can also do a p-pump conversion as well. As far as pump mods to the ve, there is an AFC screw commonly called a smoke screw, and a fuel pin that can be modified as well. I'm not sure what kind of gov. mods can be made, but I'm sure that there are some.
Sean

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would like to go with a p pump would i have to change the front cover so p pump will bolt on

what the best

ve pump
p pump
injectors
cam
turbos

·
444 Posts
The front cover would need swapped to switch to a p-pump.

Now the question we need answered. What are your plans for the truck? What HP range are you wanting.

·
444 Posts
Well that HP range puts you into P-pump range.

Don't waste your time on that 89 engine. For the cost of that engine and the p-pump swap. You can buy a running p-pump engine cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
well i bought the engine for $900 complete running with 150000 miles on it
Clean it up, and sell it. Then buy a P-pumped 6BT, they have been coming down in price. I've seen a few on craigslist for $1500.

·
121 Posts
i might know a guy that would love to buy it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts