The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there enough room on a 9' flatbed equipped with a hidden 5th wheel gooseneck to put a typical aluminum fuel tank against bulkhead and no have interference when making sharp turns?

I know it depends on the trailer construction, but for most typical 5th wheel trailers, will it clear a tank mounted against bulkhead?

I was looking at this model because it's slim (only 9" thick), but it only holds ~45 gallons.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306745_200306745?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Fuel%20Transfer%20+%20Lubrication-_-Auxiliary&%20Transfer&%20+%20Skid%20Tanks-_-349007&ci_sku=349007&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

·
1,836 Posts
Easy way is to hook and measure the neck clearance to the deck and subtract 5 in for out of level unless you are not careful in rough sites at high angles - there seems to be over 6 in difference in the trailers that I have hooked to. If you are hunting a new trailer the should have pin height foe the trailer in the literature and clearance to the neck.

If you are putting a rig together you might look at gooseneck equipment, I like it a lot better off the road.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy way is to hook and measure the neck clearance to the deck and subtract 5 in for out of level unless you are not careful in rough sites at high angles - there seems to be over 6 in difference in the trailers that I have hooked to. If you are hunting a new trailer the should have pin height foe the trailer in the literature and clearance to the neck.

If you are putting a rig together you might look at gooseneck equipment, I like it a lot better off the road.
That's what I am doing-putting a package together.
I have the truck on the way, now looking for the trailer. There's so much to consider!!!
I figured the ultra slim fuel tank would have the lowest chance of interference with the gooseneck.

·
1,836 Posts
That is what I gathered from the part of the post that I read.

My preference for a gooseneck goes back to backing in on soft stuff with a loaded fifth wheel and losing traction on one side from the trailer tipping, but some stuff is only fifth wheel.

You are seldom really out of shape when the trailer is 90 deg to the truck so that the neck will drop more than 6 in, at about that point the offside starts lifting. So getting the recommended pin height from the manufacture or literature is usually not a problem. Same as backing under the pin to measure with a used trailer - no 5th wheel needed to measure. Wandering through my memory seems there is more than a foot difference in neck clearancs among the stuff that I have pulled.

·
4,827 Posts
When I had my aluminum flatbed (94" wide x 9' long) on my '97, I had my RDS 60 gal tank w/ toolbox with stacks ahead of it, and no clearance issues. My bed had clipped corners at the rear as well. Pulled the flatbed and square nosed Featherlite stock trailer with it.

The top of the ball was maybe 3-4" below the top of the bed.

The one I have-

http://www.nationwidewholesaledirect.com/catalog/item/6561749/6416197.htm

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had my aluminum flatbed (94" wide x 9' long) on my '97, I had my RDS 60 gal tank w/ toolbox with stacks ahead of it, and no clearance issues. My bed had clipped corners at the rear as well. Pulled the flatbed and square nosed Featherlite stock trailer with it.

The top of the ball was maybe 3-4" below the top of the bed.

The one I have-

http://www.nationwidewholesaledirect.com/catalog/item/6561749/6416197.htm
So even at a 90* turn, trailer didn't bind against back of tank/toolbox?
That would be great because I need tool storage.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im actually looking for a diesel fuel tank & pump for equipment, not a second fuel tank for my truck.

·
4,827 Posts
Nope, no contact. :D

RDS makes transfer tanks, too. Only posted that so you had a way to judge size for what I have. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts