The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 4.11 gears and a 5 speed trans and it sucks on thw highway! 75 mph at like 2700 rpm. I know gear venders make a conversion to make it a 9 speed i got a feelin its might be a little pricey... so is there any thing I can do besides change the gears.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
xnaibasx said:
I got 4.11 gears and a 5 speed trans and it sucks on thw highway! 75 mph at like 2700 rpm. I know gear venders make a conversion to make it a 9 speed i got a feelin its might be a little pricey... so is there any thing I can do besides change the gears.

Thanks
Jim
Wow. My 4:10 rear runs at/touch under 2500 at 75mph. Sure that aint a 4:33??

I guess you could slow down?
I would guess you are getting about 12 mpg (possibly less?) at that speed? You MIGHT see 15 mpg at 2200 rpm/75mpg.....

If you drive some what regular number of miles per year, you might find that even spending money on gears would equal about a 4yr payback. Reality seems that an improvement of a few miles per gallon is not very much cash at the end of the year saved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duker said:
Wow. My 4:10 rear runs at/touch under 2500 at 75mph. Sure that aint a 4:33??

I guess you could slow down?
I would guess you are getting about 12 mpg (possibly less?) at that speed? You MIGHT see 15 mpg at 2200 rpm/75mpg.....

If you drive some what regular number of miles per year, you might find that even spending money on gears would equal about a 4yr payback. Reality seems that an improvement of a few miles per gallon is not very much cash at the end of the year saved.
HAHAHA yea slowing down might help, But yeah im almost positive i got the 4:11 and my fuel mileage isnt that bad just wanted to get the rpms down a bit i do a lot of highway drive for 5 hours or more so. My friends got 3:73 i think and hes at 2200-2400 at 80 so...

but thanks
Jim

·
4,827 Posts
Getting a Gear Vendors or US Gear gearbox isn't going to pencil out very well, if you are hoping for better mileage. If you have several grand burning a hole in your pocket, or need more gears for towing, than go ahead and get it if you want.

Would probably be cheaper to do a gear change in the diff(s), or go with some even taller tires.

·
89 Posts
xnaibasx said:

Thanks
Jim
1997 F-250 5 speed

K&N intake
3" Down pipe
EDGE evolution
5" grandrock stacks
33 12.50 R16.5 wheels
You've already increased your tire size by 6% therefore your rear end ration is about 3:88. When I ran stock tire with my 4:10s, I'd run 75 about 2350-2400rpm, but then when checked against mile markers and GPS I found that the speedo was running a little fast - probably saved me a ticket or two.

Did you use the edge to adjust your tire diameters? Have you verified the spedo calibration against a measured mile or a GPS unit? You may be running faster than you think. Gear vendors unit is very pricey!

·
Hotsauce2138
496 Posts
my lil brother has a gear vendors in his '92 7.3L and it is awesome, yea its expensive but its pretty cool it dropped his rpm's -500. he used to do like 70 mph at 2300 rpm now its down to 1800, and he gets about 13-14 mpg but he's 16 and he loves to blow smoke. LOL

i want one for my 99, when im doing 75 mph im doing like 2300 rpm so if i had that extra gear it would lower it down to 1800 and i could get a lil mileage and go faster.:evil:

SAM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts