The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck just shut off while trying to get it unstuck after wife drove into sugar sand. Engine turns over, but won't start. Changed glow plugs. Tried changing glow plug relay. Engine won't turn over with new one in ( Tried two. Might be wrong parts. Look identical, except color, bottom plate [new- silver, old- copper], and numbers on back [new- 1305, old- 1306]). Old one in, it turns over. I am new to diesels. This is my only vehicle and need it running soon as possible. What do I check? I have to do this myself because of money constraints.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since last post,

Okay. Removed air cleaner. Found this. Looks like it might have once been a glow plug controller. Only one wire is hooked up. Few seems the insulation is burned off.

Attachments

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meanwhile, on the sidewall of the engine compartment...

Yet, on the sidewall (ps, above voltage regulator), is this little guy. This is the gp relay that was originally in the truck and with a replacement, it won't turn over. This is also how it was and is currently wired up.

Attachments

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please help!

This is my only transportation, besides a bicycle. I live in the country and closest store is about 5 miles away, not to mention I need to be able to get supplies to repair the two homes I am attempting to repair and rent out.
Thanks

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something's not right.

This is the old gp controller. There was one wire connected to it. In the spot where the housing is broken. It seems to have been in there like this for a while. Guess, this means someone rewired the glow plugs, did away with the controller, and installed a gp relay instead? Is this why I have no "Wait to Start" light? (Never did.) Don't think I've ever "heard" the gp's "cycling". **Note ** I currently have no speedometer/odometer. Do have "gauges".

Attachments

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. Have discovered the one on the sidewall is starter relay. Like I said, new to diesels, but a fast learner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts