The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about trading for a truck that has a non turbo 7.3 and was wondering how the power is and pulling and mpg.now some info it is a 5 spd trans and dont know the miles yet just trying for any info i can get. thanks mike

·
381 Posts
im thinking about trading for a truck that has a non turbo 7.3 and was wondering how the power is and pulling and mpg.now some info it is a 5 spd trans and dont know the miles yet just trying for any info i can get. thanks mike
I had ! in my 91 IHC service truck for abt. 4 years, & I had to wind it up tight in every gear just to barely make it in the next one. Put in a 2 speed rear axle, & solved the problem. I think it was 170 horse when new! It will do fair in a pickup , but not pull a trailer very well. Just not enough power to do the job right. I have ! in a 94 4wd F350 that i am in process of installing a turbo from a 96 pwr stroke. Looking for a aftercooler. You can crank up the fuel even without a turbo, but you need a spotter mirror to watch your exaust. If you are an old truck driver, you know what I mean. (Think 220 Cummins juiced up! :rantoff:coal. Just know this, the IDI engines will not punch a hole in the wind like a pwr. stroke.:blahblah. On the up side, you can burn anything oily in it for fuel. :goodluck

·
spanky63
28 Posts
Ford f-350 7.3

I have a non-turbo 7.3 1992 ford f-350. I love my truck, plenty of power and I get 14.5 miles to the gallon when all tanks are full. My truck is a 1 ton with a 168" wheel base and I have hauled 4 tons of gravel at one time with it last summer. The truck handled the weight no problem the tires are another story they were squatting deep. My truck has the 4 speed automatic.

·
381 Posts
Spanky, let me put it another way. A powerstroke it ain't. You can pull a lot of stuff with a lot of things, but the average IDI engine will not pull a loaded trailer of any size down the road like a big block Ford or Chev. gas motors. At least not anyone I have known. However , there are some that will.:bdh---Bob

·
69 Posts
I have a 89 7.3l idi with e40d tranny,no it"s not as powerful as a powerstroke,but it has no turbo.These trucks are no speed demon,but they will pull a good load,if your going to tow on the highway alot,say 65mph or more I"d say don"t buy it,but if your not they do ok,as I said,just not fast towing,I frequently tow 15000lb. loads and do ok,but I"ll be honest I"d love ta have a turbo on it .They are pretty easy to work on though,test drive it for a while,good shopping.

·
398 Posts
No computer, troubleshooting is simple, parts are inexpensive, and you can repair almost anything on the engine while parked on the side of the road and with a tool kit small enough to fit in the glove box. If you use your gears and aren't afraid to hit 2500-3000 rpm now & then an NA IDI will tow 6-7K or more pounds at highway speed on flat or gently rolling terrain with no problems. In the hills & mountains you'll definitely notice the lack of a turbo, but if you don't mind cresting at 15-20mph in 2nd gear it'll get you there. As mentioned above it won't tow as fast as a modern gasser, but I got 13mpg towing a a Jeep & trailer that weighed in at a little under 6K. How many gassers will do that, even given the higher price of diesel?

If you like to race then an IDI isn't for you. If you don't want your engine controlled by electronics for which every power-up and power-down is a game of Russian roulette then an IDI may be what you're looking for.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I had an 89 with a 7.3 IDI and although it would get the job done, it was not very powerful. I installed an ATS kit when they were very new to the market and it was a really nice wake up for the engine. I put over 100K on that engine afterward with not a nickels worth of trouble from the engine.

I'd like to find a really clean non turbo 7.3 dually and do the same again. I'd go with the small fuller nine speed I have around here behind it however as the original five speeds really are not that robust.

·
Formerly Powerstrokin350
9 Posts
I had an 89 with a 7.3 IDI and although it would get the job done, it was not very powerful. I installed an ATS kit when they were very new to the market and it was a really nice wake up for the engine. I put over 100K on that engine afterward with not a nickels worth of trouble from the engine.

I'd like to find a really clean non turbo 7.3 dually and do the same again. I'd go with the small fuller nine speed I have around here behind it however as the original five speeds really are not that robust.
What would you have to change to put a fuller on? And where would one go about gething one? I'd love that. As far as the trucks go. I love my '93 with a 5spd, would love it more with more gears but, ya it's not my '03psd but it's way more economical and a cc instead of extended cab. As far as towing and all that it's a little older so you need to "drive it" not just push on the peddle and stear.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
What would you have to change to put a fuller on? And where would one go about gething one? I'd love that. As far as the trucks go. I love my '93 with a 5spd, would love it more with more gears but, ya it's not my '03psd but it's way more economical and a cc instead of extended cab. As far as towing and all that it's a little older so you need to "drive it" not just push on the peddle and stear.
You would need to change the flywheel housing adapter on the back of the engine to take an SAE #1 housing of which a lot of the RT-6XX series transmissions used. These were common in both school busses and medium duty International trucks 30 years ago. Still should be plenty of them around. You'd need to run a new clutch release assembly via cable but that's no hill for a climber. Then the output yoke on the driveline would need to be enlarged/modified to fit the transmission as most of the small Fuller's used a 1700 series. Last, but certainly not least is to fabricate a rear xmember to support it all. It would be much easier to modify the dashboard to incorporate an electronic speedometer, or one could get a speedo shop to build an adapter in the correct ratio for driving the original mechanical unit. This may prove to be difficult however these days.

I had three five speeds in that 89 truck with only one being a rebuilt unit. The others were from salvage trucks and I had hired driver's in them......

·
Formerly Powerstrokin350
9 Posts
That doesn't sound like too much, besides it'd be cool as hell the have a 9 in there. My tranny is about done. The reverse is shot, it helps to be just barely moving for it to go into gear, and fourth synchro is going, usually grinds if you don't double clutch it. All the other gears are pretty good for a truck with 370,000 miles.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
That doesn't sound like too much, besides it'd be cool as hell the have a 9 in there. My tranny is about done. The reverse is shot, it helps to be just barely moving for it to go into gear, and fourth synchro is going, usually grinds if you don't double clutch it. All the other gears are pretty good for a truck with 370,000 miles.
I referenced an SAE #1 flywheel housing which is incorrect. You would need an SAE #2 housing which is smaller in diameter. I've never seen a small Fuller transmission with a #1 housing.

Sorry for the incorrect information.

·
Diesel Maniac
110 Posts
I have a 1993 7.3 f350 non turbo dual wheels
I use it to pull a 22 ft chris craft 5.7 engine. Party barge.
The boat weighs 1700 lbs and the trailer weights 1500.
Like it isn't there very proud of my 7.3
Heck with computers

·
spanky63
28 Posts
I have a 1992 ford f350 it is naturally aspirated and I love my truck. I haul 2000 lbs of steel out of chicago regularly and have a fifthwheel camper that it pulls without even knowing it is there. I love my truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts