The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a 93 f-350 7.3 non turbo yesterday reg cab 4x4 5 speed xlt. It has 200,000 miles on it and has some rust along the wheel wells and under the cab with just some surface rust on the frame. The bellhousing cover is missing and you can see the flywheel. He said alot of people do this. Just wondering if they do and why??? I was wondering what to look for in this truck and what kind of milage to expect. The front axle has been rebuilt, new starter, new u joints, new batterys, new bushings in front springs and it sits on 33-12.50 bfg muds that are in great shape He said he would take $4500. Is this a good deal or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
132 Posts
while it sounds like a relatively good truck i find the price to be a little high. i paid $3000 for mine with the same mileage and same parts replaced and new. there really isn't a reason to have the cover off the bellhousing. it doesn't cause any damage to it but having it off does away with any protection from stones kicking up into there. the tires will def play a role in wearing out the front suspension parts quicker but they aren't really that big so its not killer.

how does it start when its cold? the condition of the motor can be quickly realized when it starts or if it doesn't.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah me to that seems up there in the price range. But sounds like a good truck:iagree

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it was high too so Im going to wait another week and see if he still has it and offer him some cash. He had it plugged in when I got there but said he only had it plugged in for a half hour and it was in the 20's and started right up with just a little bit of smoke. The bellhousing still scares me. Is that just a junk yard cover that is easy to find?

·
Registered
135 Posts
sootman73 said:
while it sounds like a relatively good truck i find the price to be a little high.
Yup Yup.. .seen many a truck cheaper...
there really isn't a reason to have the cover off the bellhousing. it doesn't cause any damage to it but having it off does away with any protection from stones kicking up into there.
sounds more like someone was lazy and forgot to put it back on than someone taking it off... Oh wait, its a HP mod... Cold Air Intake for the clutch/tranny.... :poke:

·
Registered
132 Posts
jvbutter said:
Oh wait, its a HP mod... Cold Air Intake for the clutch/tranny.... :poke:
LOL LOL LOL :sly:

thats a good one. i had mine off cuz of shear laziness to put it back after i overheated my TC. okay though cuz a couple days later i had to replace my grenaded TC:damnit

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd ask if the clutch/flywheel has been serviced. Seems like they should have replaced it, even if it was only off for an inspection. A clutch kit is going to cost around $500-800. Depending on the options you choose. 200k is getting up there for OEM clutch. And is either going to need some attention, or already has been replaced.

·
5 Posts
If you do buy the truck make sure that you do put a inspection plate back on it!I had a buddy sling a rock into the bell housing and it nocked a few teeth off of the flywheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts