The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck has a small sleeper on it. Its not a unibuilt so i pretty much sit straight up. has anyone ever cut the cab behind the seats?

i was thinking of doing this and using an accordian gasket they use on truck campers......not sure if I would affect the structure of the cab if I did this or not.

·
2,555 Posts
I am pretty sure one of our members (black '89 flattop) put a unibilt opening/frame in a frame mounted sleeper truck

·
2,824 Posts
You can do the large cut out for the room, but the structure underneath isn't there to build as a true unibilt.

·
2,555 Posts
Yeah don't try that, there are quite a few extra braces etc, in a true unibilt cab,

·
103 Posts
hi, I fitted kenworth 60 inch to a mack r model cab. it can be done, just dont go through floor supports, and not all way to roof. its not what you do, but how you do it. how big is opening that is all ready there? make the sleeper fit that?

Grant

·
2,555 Posts
His sleeper fits, it is just the leg room issue in almost all class 8 day cab trucks, early Peterbilts had a frame mount walk in sleeper, later ones had an unibilt option where there were brackets and bracing to make the cab and sleeper an air ride unit as well as a wider opening that the seat could move back into. the stupid thing about the Pete room issue is the pedals could easily be several inches forward. What are all truck cab engineers 4'10" tall ??? :bdh

Reactions: cowpuncher

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just want to open the opening wider so i can lean my seat back......I dont care about the unibilt part.

·
2,555 Posts
prolly the easiest route is to get a unibilt opening frame and fit it to your cab the boot should also work , not much movement on frame mounted sleepers,
the member that did the conversion is 3406bcat, maybe search his threads,

Reactions: sexytrkr

·
292 Posts
I just want to open the opening wider so i can lean my seat back......I dont care about the unibilt part.
Yes you can do er, I have a 92 kw aerodyne, same problem as yours, same build I think, anyway I had four states cut the wall out on the cab and sleeper and put a unibuilt frame and boot in it, they also cut some of the cab net on the driver side to make more room, way more room, I moved the seat back 4 inches and you could move it more, the boot is $750 plus dollars and the frame wasn't that much, they took the sleeper off on mine, Don't have them do a thing!! They do shiet work and are not mechanics, they only do good work if your spending big bucks, they wouldn't let me see the bill until I paid for it, anyway $9200 for that and a junk fifth wheel .. install and some other piddle crap... There a JOKE!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts