The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Diesel Maniac
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought two f350's 93 and 96 for parts. Can I put a 96 turbo on a 93 7.3 without the use of a PCM?

Thanks

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
You can, but it won't be smooth. I turbo'd a gas 400 using some kit I bought new. I had to fab a lot of it as it was not a complete kit. I added a wastegate when I saw the boost gauge go past 15 psi, I think. It was not very smooth but it did the basic stuff - more power. Without the pcm, your truck will be rather crude in controlling the boost. Banks had a kit for the '93 at one time.

·
Diesel Maniac
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will keep that in mind, just takes a few minutes to remove and replace. I am going to do some testing. The 1996 I am take in off is an upgraded aftermarket, so we will see..

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
You can, but it won't be smooth. I turbo'd a gas 400 using some kit I bought new. I had to fab a lot of it as it was not a complete kit. I added a wastegate when I saw the boost gauge go past 15 psi, I think. It was not very smooth but it did the basic stuff - more power. Without the pcm, your truck will be rather crude in controlling the boost. Banks had a kit for the '93 at one time.
I installed a couple of the Banks' kits, and several of the ATS conversions of which I liked better. The Banks setup worked very well but was not as linear in drivability as was the ATS system. Also the ATS was complete out of the box, (so to speak) where Banks' at the time had a bunch to pick and choose from. The ATS system was about $900.00 less expensive also.

That engine would really wake up when modified over stock correctly and not destroy itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts