The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I called to check on the progress of my block at the machain shop. he told me he has not got to mic it yet, but from the looks of #7 and #8 cyl bore it looks it may take .040 to clean up.

If the other cyl come out good should i just have the # 7 & 8 sleeved? I read the 7.3 is just about at its max on the bore size and the cyl walls are aready thin.

What should I do?

·
Registered
132 Posts
i've heard bad things about sleeving 7.3l most shops dont do it right and the sleeves can easily drop down into the motor! heres a guy that has gone through that situation. sorry kinda long!

So after looking at every option, none of the local machine shops wanted anything to do with an IDI overhaul.
I did find one, they said the turn around time would be 5 or 6 weeks, forget that, that would be like leaving my pants at the house for a month and a half.
I was at the local Ford Dealer and they had a Dealers Diesel poster behind the parts counter.

Found them online and sent an Email.
Yes you can buy this through www._ _ _ _.com
So I gave them a call and asked if I could do a 7.3 turbo upgrade trading in a 6.9 core.
Sure, price was 6995 delivered, with return shipping on the core included and a two year unlimited mileage warranty.
So the deal was struck, a couple mechanic buddies said for a few dollars we will help you install it in their shop.
Great, the engine arrived, drove the truck in the shop Saturday morning 7 AM, drove it out again at midnight that night.
Cool truck down one day, runs great with the turbo.
At 1700 miles, nice sweet smoke out of the exhaust, coolant blowing out of the recovery tank.
Called the 800 number, but Dealers Diesel had turned into Reviva.
No problem, we honor Dealers warranty, get the engine diagnosed it is probably a blown head gasket.
Turned out it was a cracked block, the sleeves had dropped in the block till it cracked.
OK we are sending another motor, cool.
So in goes the second engine.
At 9700 miles, white sweet smoke .......Uh you are not going to believe this but this engine is doing the same thing....get it diagnosed.
Cracked block, again the sleeves had dropped till the block cracked.
We are sending another motor.
So in it goes, by now an engine swap is under 10 hours, we all know exactly what we have to do to get it done.
17000 miles, here we go again, this is engine number 3 in 15 months and 28,000 miles.
Plus with the diagnose and shipping times, I have been walking three months out of 15.
The fourth engine arrives, this one is getting torn down before it goes in the truck.

So off come the heads, out of 8 cylinders 6 had been sleeved.
Then all the cylinders had been bored 20 over.
All of the sleeves were below the deck, you can see machine marks that say they were flush before the engine was assembled.
Sleeves had dropped and the engine had never been fired yet.
Warranty out in six months, I refused to install the engine.

We haggled for 2 months before they agreed to do a buyout and refund the core charge for the good core I had given them in the beginning.

Snow is flying, I gotta have an engine, NOW.
Salvage yard 6.9, unknown mileage.
In May I was driving down the street to my house and bang it drops a cylinder and is making terrible sounds, so I coast to the house.
Glow plugs out, crank the engine, no compression on #1 cylinder.
Valve cover off, push rods are bent so bad they will not come out of the head.
Head off, piston is rotated 80 degrees to the right in the cylinder, piston is cracked right through the center and the block is cracked where the piston crack ends at a coolant passage.
So I call my buddies that found the engine, one comes over and says let's call them before we do any more.
OK.....Wow a 6 month warranty on a salvage yard motor, cool.
So they send me another motor.

I am getting really tired of swapping motors and walking by now.
So this engine will be gone through before it goes in the truck, and since it appears that a national re builder that does thousands of engines a year can't get it right, I am doing it myself.

All of the Dealers Diesel/Reviva engines were turbo 7.3 engines set up at their factory to factory specs.
8 PSI boost and stock fuel delivery to answer that question by someone above.

In the time while I had the 7.3 engine in my truck, I had done a wet basement fix for the owner of a local machine shop.
He was one of the machine shops that wanted nothing to do with an IDI overhaul.
So I went over and told him all about the Reviva deal, the sleeves were why he did not do IDI overhaul work.
I then pointed out that I did not want a 7.3, I wanted a 6.9 with a minimum bore, just enough to give me fresh cylinders that were true.
Since the blocks were almost identical, with a minimum bore sleeves should not be needed.
So he said OK, I see where you are going, but I will not warranty the job.
I will do exactly what you want as far as machine work though if you accept my condition.
Cool, now all I ask is you do the machine work as good as I did the basement.
He looked at his partner and said this one has to be good, the basement has never leaked a drop since he did the work.
So we had a deal.

(just to add he now has a 6.9l running 26psi of boost! and has been doing so for a little over 40,000 miles!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sootman73. I will call the shop monday and make sure they leave a step in the bottom so the sleeve will not drop. The more I read about 7.3l makes me wish I had the 6.9l

·
Registered
132 Posts
i like my 7.3 just fine. its still a good motor and i haven't had any problems with it and it has 204000 miles on it. if its taken care of then it will last forever.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have to confirm what is said about sleved 7.3s... all that I have heard they are thin to start, and then you overbore them... not good idea

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 7.3L i have will be bored how much I do not know at the moment. I can't aford the $130 a hole to resleeve the hole block.

·
Registered
132 Posts
you only need to sleeve the holes that need it. if you can get away with a hone then you'll be okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts