The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 F350 IDI Turbo that need an engine or rebuild. Really bad blowby to the point that I am burning as much as a gallon of oil per week and can't add oil with the engine running. (Yes, it blows that badly out of the filler neck!)

My question is can my factory turbo unit be installed on an earlier non turbo 7.3 without too much headache?

I ask because I have a line on a 1991 7.3 on the cheap and would much rather just do a swap than a rebuild right now.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
29 Posts
Yes you can put the turbo on an early model 7.3 idi. Should all just bolt up.

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Yup I agree, bolt on deal, it will fit on both a 6.9 and the 7.3 IDI motor all outside things are almost identical and the only changes are internal. Should be good to go!

·
1,700 Posts
If I was you I would try to hang onto the IDI turbo engine and maybe rebuild it when you have time and money. The factory turbo engines were beefed up versions of the 7.3 compared to the N/A IDI. Though most people would say a N/A IDI is plenty strong for the factory turbo setup.

At least keep it until your done with the swap, there are a couple things that are different that you may not realize at first. Like the fuel lines, LH valve cover, CDR valve, glow plug harness and relay location, Trans dipstick tube (if auto). The turbo injection pump and injectors are different too but not necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts