The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95f250 I'm looking to do a front end swap in my truck. i can get a Dana 50 for 300$ but it needs a pinion gear. i was wondering if it's worth the money or just look for a 60? if a 60 is better to go with what year truck should i get one out of? thanks

·
812 Posts
pretty sure the 50 would be off a SD, so you will have a diffrent wheel pattern in the front and rear. and im not sure it will bolt right up like a 60 off an OBS.

·
812 Posts
i belive the ones that are a direct bolt on come from 92-97s,maybe from a 91 but im not sure. i got mine from a 96.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got a Dana 60 the other day. i don't know what year it is out of but it is a king pin style. my truck has 4.10s and the guy that sold me the axle swore up and down that it had 4.10s but when i got it home i scraped off the tag and it looks like 3.54s??? is there even a such gear? any one can tell me were to look for the year of the axle would be helpful. thanks

·
812 Posts
find the serial number and look it up on the internet. and yes they had 3.54s

·
35 Posts
i took the vin from the truck to the dealership and the partsman looked up the ratios before i started the swap. 92-97 d60 direct fit, the older king pins, i believe fro the 80s are as well. i did the ball joint one and other than waiting three weeks for and aftermarket trac bar bracket to work with my lift it was a pretty easy job. a good solid saturday re and re both axles. finished up on a sunday with re-torque and double checkin things. plus clean up of misc crap. i definatly thought the swap was gonna be harder, but with a few jack stands and a good jack, piece of cake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts