The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was going to wait till I get it scanned before I post a thread. But mentioned my problem in another thread and got some help from LocoMotion. So I decided to make my own thread instead of hi-jacking the other one.

So I have a 95 F250 auto. Recently the check engine light will come on and it will run very rough like it is missing or running on about 3cyl. Then all of a sudden the light will go off and it will run fine. This kept happening on and off till the last time I drove it the problem stayed and quite "fixing itself". Now it won't start, fires alittle but won't start. I know that you guys can't help much with out a code but I can't get it scanned till Friday (hopefully).
Anyway LocoMotion mentioned the UVC harness. I did some searching and it sounds like it could be the problem. So where is the best place to get these? Any other parts besides the harness? how much do they cost? how hard is the job?

Oh and any other opinions on the problem are welcome.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Scotty,
UVC is the valve cover gasket w/harness. VC gasket comes with a new harness. Look for melted wiring at the connector. International will be cheaper than Ford if you need the UVC.

I'm not sure if you can buy the harness seperate from the gasket. Every one I have replaced needed both. The gasket has been redesigned to prevent future melt downs.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It's my understanding that the part that plugs into the injectors (we'll call it the "harness") is the part that has been updated to lock into the other part (call it the "gasket") and prevent it from shorting out.

Mine has done this twice and each time it was just a loose connection. First time I rigged it, second time I replaced the "harness" and it has been fine since.

As RacerX mentioned though, sometimes the bad connection causes damage to BOTH parts making it necessary to replace them.

At any rate, try to get your parts from an International dealer if possible, or if you can wait you can go thru powerstrokeshop.com I say this because if you go to Ford, prepare to be raped.

The "harness" part I had to buy was $18 from International. Guess how much from Ford...
$96 !!!

The "gasket" part of the deal should be around 30 bucks as well, so less than 100 in parts even if you need all of it, provided you get a fair deal.

My symptoms were exactly like yours, it would fix itself for a day or two, then one day it died and would NOT start back. Finally got it started and it had no power and ran like poo because it was only running on one bank.
The OBS connectors are split into 2's, so you only lose 2 at a time normally if it's the "harness".
Your situation sounds like it may be the "gasket" part as RacerX mentioned, and that's why it won't start, only one bank trying to light.

HTH

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

If I go to a International dealer, can they look up my engine or do I need to tell them a different engine?
From what I have seen around the internet the OBS's are more expensive then the newer ones. I have found the harness for $50 each, and I need 4....ouch. and the gasket I think was like $90, seems kinda expensive to me. I hope International will be cheaper.

·
455 Posts
at navistar tell them its a t444e older style with 2 plugs per gasket .. or if I get a chance before I get home I can get part numbers and a rough price and post it when I get home . I say rough price because it will vary from location to location

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's the resistance in the circuit that causes overheat and melt down. Maybe due to corrosion forming in the UVC plug in. I pack all the under hood connections with silicone di grease. Works well for protecting the connections.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Very good idea Racer X.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys.

Too bad I can't even look at it till Friday. I called the local International dealer and they have the harness for $35 and the gasket for $57. Not too bad i guess.

Ok so given this is my problem.
Do I replace all the harnesses or just the bad ones? maybe just one side?
Do I have to replace the gasket if they look fine and aren't melted?
would it be wise to replace glow plugs while I am in there, or is it a waist of money if they are still good? It has 312K and I don't know any history on it. How do i test them? Do they need to be with in a certain resistance (thats how my car is)?

-Scott

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Resistance on the glow plugs should be 0.6-2 ohms.

With those miles I would replace them since you're going to be there anyways.

****WORD OF CAUTION*** DO NOT USE AUTOLITE GLOW PLUGS.

You want either Motorcraft or BERU, the autolites break off.

As far as the other parts, just get it torn apart and only replace what is damaged. Make sure every other connection is solid and clean it up and coat with some dielectric as RacerX mentioned.

·
4,827 Posts
ScottyB said:
the check engine light will come on and it will run very rough like it is missing or running on about 3cyl. Then all of a sudden the light will go off and it will run fine. This kept happening on and off till the last time I drove it the problem stayed and quite "fixing itself". Now it won't start, fires alittle but won't start.

Oh and any other opinions on the problem are welcome.
I suspect the cam position sensor. They can cause intermitant problems like that. Missing/no start conditions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 95 and it did the same thing. I talked to a buddy at Ford and he told me that it was the injector harness from the module to the valve cover. I changed that and the injector harness on both heads and the problem went away. I've got a harness that has been repaired with the Ford repair kit if your interested in getting one. Ford wants over 300.00 for the module harnesss. Good luck

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
bmoeller said:
I suspect the cam position sensor. They can cause intermitant problems like that. Missing/no start conditions.

Nah, it would be tough for a Cam sensor to cause a miss. It either works or doesn't work.
Most of the time when a cam sensor goes the engine dies completely just as if you had reached up and turned off the key.

·
455 Posts
ok as promised altho late ..lol here are the part numbers from navistar
old style 2 plugs

Gasket 1818350c2 $40.58
harness 1815923c92 $28.82

new style single plug

gasket 1826703c1 $37.01
harness 1830844c93 $17.22

and as I said prices will vary from dealer to dealer

Doc

·
4,827 Posts
LocoMotion said:
Nah, it would be tough for a Cam sensor to cause a miss. It either works or doesn't work.
Most of the time when a cam sensor goes the engine dies completely just as if you had reached up and turned off the key.
I know some that have had the cam sensor do that. It would buck or flat die. Some days it would bother them, other days it would. Sometimes it would start up right away, sometimes it wouldn't. It didn't always set a code either.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I agree with you.
A buck or stall isn't the same thing as a miss. I know a CPS can and will give the symptoms you described.
What I don't think it will do is give a consistent, dead or slight miss and allow the engine to keep running.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The code is a p0267. Something with the injector 3 circuit.

So thats probably the harness?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yes .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts