The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I just got a 95 Ford L8000 single axle it has the cummins 8.3 and a 8ll tranny it also has a knuckle boom crane mounted at the rear of a 20 foot deck. Im thinking of towing a 30 foot beaver tail pintle hitch trailer with a 20000lbs machine on it do you think this would be to much weight over the rear axle and would my steering be compromised. would the cummins have the power needed to pull this ok? thanks for your help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unfortunately the data plate is unreadable it's so old and faded I just got the truck about 4 days ago and have never had her on a scale so not sure how much she weighs unsure of the rear end also.

·
5 Posts
So you bought a truck ya know nothing about?..?
And your going to hook it up to a heavy trailer towing a heavy piece of equipment?..?

Sounds like fun :popcorn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I bought a truck with a 20 foot deck and a crane on it and it works well for what I need I'm just wondering If I could tow a piece of equipment with it if I wanted to or needed to if the occasion ever presented itself.

·
323 Posts
First, hit a scale. A Cat scale would be best. If you go to your local landfill or scrap yard and ask nice they will scale it for you.

Second, there should be a metal tag on the axle. Tell us what is says. You could jack up the rear end and count revolutions, but that's a lot harder.

·
1,224 Posts
If you are concerned about the steering besides the weight issue that others mentioned, what is the wheel base and what is the overhang length behind the rear axle? A long overhang will take more weight off the front axle vs. a short overhang with a heavy hitch weight.

·
3 Posts
It should tow it easily. Stopping it is another. But with the trailer loaded to gross you have to make sure the weight is distributed over h
The trailer axles and not on the tongue. So really check the tongue weight. Each time you load. Soon you'll know how much is too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
7 Posts
I had a f800 with a slightly turned up 5.9 and it towed 20k no prob. Just keeping the EGTs down is key, I would think a 8.3 would be plenty. Air brakes??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts