The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this truck and drove cross country, it rqan good most of the time and sometimes it woudl start to surge and miss, like it wasnt getting fuel, i changed the oil on the way home about 1000 miles ago and today i started it and it was running but missing and stumbling again like it was and now the oil pressure gauge is going from normal to nothing and bouncing around like its got a very bad sender and the engine runs bad when its bouncing, every so often it stops at normal and runs smooth and then it will start again and run crappy?

i havent got the manuals yet so im running blind but the check engine light came on a few times when i was drivingh across country but not with this symtoms and it never came on today.
where is the sensor for the oil gauge and where can i check oil pressure, can i check it on both the high and low sides? and whats the best way to approach this?

·
6,337 Posts
The oil pressure sender is on top of the HPOP, see pic... with 300,000k it could be your low pressure oil pump, but without the codes cant help much.

the arrow shows my aftermarket oil pressure sender, the factory one is just to the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i pull the sender, can i connect a pressure gauge and what reading should i get?
sorry im in the process of getting the manuals and a autoenginuity setup but i have to send my ecu in to get it reflashed so i can use the obd2, can auto parts stores read the codes in a 95?

·
6,337 Posts
95 should be able to use AE? Hummmmmm Yes, you can use a aftermarket oil pressure gauge. there is a second port where the pic shows. you dont even have to remove the factory one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that will work, how much pressure, and just to be sure the gauge at the upper left of my instrument panel with the oil icon is pressure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts