The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6.5 diesel starts hard and white smoke is present. If I disconnect the temperature sensor it starts fine I replaced the sensor and it still starts hard and smokes. What else can I check

·
354 Posts
Possibly glow plugs .
Before cranking when they kick on your voltmeter should drop to 9-10 volts.
I'm thinking they are only running for a short bit based on temp. Weak/old glow plugs don't create enough heat. Unplugging the temperature sensor makes the engine think it is real cold running the weak plugs longer.
To get the back two of them out you may need to take a hole saw to the inner fender liner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly glow plugs .
Before cranking when they kick on your voltmeter should drop to 9-10 volts.
I'm thinking they are only running for a short bit based on temp. Weak/old glow plugs don't create enough heat. Unplugging the temperature sensor makes the engine think it is real cold running the weak plugs longer.
To get the back two of them out you may need to take a hole saw to the inner fender liner.
I have new glow plugs and injectors in and I am getting 10 volts at the plugs

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's a reason the 6.5 and 6.2 detroits aren't as legendary as the cummins and idi/powerstrokes from the same era. They aren't million mile engines. They're 300k mile engines, sure, but they aren't gonna take as much power, and have known issues. Overall the big block is gonna be better since they have the same amount of torque but the big blocks have more horses

1 - 4 of 4 Posts