The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak coming from the top of my tank. I looked under to see what I needed to do to remove the tank, but thought better of it until I get some info. What the best way to get it removed? Thanks in advance!

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Two ways to do it. Pull the bed, gain access to EVERYTHING, or drop the tank. You'll need an A/C and fuel line fitting quick release connector tool, little metal one that scissors and has 5/16 and 3/8 work great on the truck tanks. Remove the spare an the spare tire holder to get them out of your way. Tank will be held in with two straps, support the tank on a jack and disconnect the filler neck hoses from the filler neck, remove the bolts on the straps and lower the tank. If it's got more than a couple gallons, get a helper. Ratcheting straps are helpful too, they can be used as safeties to keep the tank from falling, especially if it's fuel heavy. With the tank just below the frame rails blow it off with compressed air to get as much dirt off it as possible, spray some WD-40 in the fuel line connectors and the electrical plug, wait a minute and disconnect everything before lowering it the rest of the way down.

Sent by my right thumb!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts