The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
97flatbed7.3
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has installed or knows about the banks quick turbo kit for 1997 7.3 that's compatible with the stock turbo? Is there a noticeable power increase? How much of a pain in the *** is the install? If decided to install, it will be going into a 7.3 with stage 1 injectors, airraid intake, 4inch exhaust and ts 6 position

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Thread moved into the 7.3 power stroke section

Reactions: 97flatbed7.3

·
281 Posts
The Banks Quick Turbo is basically a 1.0 A/R exhaust housing that should bolt right on to the stock turbo. I think with the mods you've already done, the stock set-up would be better. The 1.0 housing is smaller than the stock and causes turbo to spool quicker but with your injector mods, would probably cause excessive egt. There are several other companies that offer the same 1.0 housing for half the cost Banks tries to sell it for.

·
97flatbed7.3
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sdan27, appreciate the advice. I'm just trying and wondering how to get rid of the turbo lag in experiencing with the truck

·
78 Posts
I know of beans diesel have tue 1.0 housing but for right now there back Order and it will give you increased spool and it will give great throttle response but if your lookin for copper egts than either a bigger turbo or inter cooler. Beans also make a rebuilt stock turbo for I believ $600 and it would be money well spent. This is what I'll be doin after injectors.

·
97flatbed7.3
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 96 stroker. I found an ATS wastegated turbo housing for 500.00 from alligator performance. Still debating to get the reman or the ATS housing. Which one would be the best bang for the buck? I also was kicking around the 99 7.3 intercooler. I also found a universal intercooler for very inexpensive, don't know if it'll be able to work with the 7.3 turbo though. Dimensions are 32"x13"

·
97flatbed7.3
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys, as soon as I get done with work in a couple weeks, ill start the hunt for a 99 intercooler.

·
454 Posts
My buddy has the stock 1.15 turbine housing on his stock turbo. He didn't upgrade it. Get rid of the crushed downpipe if you didn't. Also when you get your stage 1 injectoers and add a chip its going to spool a lot quicker. The extra fuel gets the turbo to move much faster, sooner, and you will build boost quick without your egt's going up as fast. I will warn you with the stock turbo do no what so ever go over 35psi, it will eventually grenade if you do that. stay under that and you will be fine. Get an intercooler too.

·
97flatbed7.3
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks cumminsdude, I did replace downpipe, the truck does have stage one injectors in it and I do have the ts 6 position also. Truck runs great right now, still has a little turbo lag. Will putting the intercooler on get rid of the lag?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts