The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the wknd trying to convince my sister that she shouldn't make her hubby sell his beautiful F350 with 116K miles just because diesel is .30/gal more than gas. I was wondering, what would be the best use of $1000 to try to squeeze more mpg's out of this truck. Currently it is bone stock,he's had it since new-seems silly to sell.thx guys

·
244 Posts
Intake and an exhaust should be first. Intakes are as simple as pudding and can be expensive if you go for a fancy "cold air" set up. Here is a link on a diy set up that a lot of guys are doing..

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26065

As far as an exhaust I'd go to Ebay. Simple diy kits that use exsisting hanger brackets. Make sure its atleast aluminized for resisting rust. Stainless steel ones are nice, pricey, and will last forever but my aluminized has been on for 8 years now and no rust.

So if you do go the diy route you still should have a nice chunk of cash left and a chip would be my next suggestion. I like TS Performance but there are several out there that are just as good. Anyone you go with will be able to set you up with tunes to meet your needs. The best thing about a chip is they are "on the fly" power. So he could be showing off his mpg tune to your sis and with the simple turn of a nob, kick it up an extra 100hp and smoke that lil honda next to him:peelout

Just the intake and exhaust will net extra horse power as well as mpg.
But beware.... The extra hp he will get out of this is highly addictive!!!:rock

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O yeah,i know all about the "addiction"! Any guess as to how much gain in mpg is possible with just intake and exhaust on this motor? Thanks for the advice,i"ll pass it along Also,this is just a daily driver run errands truck,no weight or trailers on his usual driving. (i still don't know why he bought a 350,but hey, it's a nice truck!)

·
244 Posts
Id guess any where from 2-4 mpg. Always depends on how its driven of course and since he doesn't tow much at all he could see more. If he gets a custom chip with some mileage tunes to go with id guess 4-10 mpg. Also I forgot that if he gets an exhaust make sure its a "turbo back" exhaust and that the down pipe from the turbo is round and not flat like the stock one. And if none of this works out let me know what he wants for it!!

·
645 Posts
The nice thing about the OBS 7.3 is there is a lot of low cost mods you can do. Such as beebee in the fuel regulator (I am sure there is a post on here about it), 10k ICP mod, 140v IDM mod, cat and muffler delete. Run the air pressure 10% over in the tires. Draft big rigs when ever possible:roflol:

As for the exhaust if you delete the cat, and install a 3" down pipe, that is all you really need the muffler is not very restrictive, if you don't like the noise. Run tall skinny tires 235/85R16 (31.5" inch tall) or if you can find some old GM bread van rims 8R19.5 (34" to 35" tall). I have heard the claim of a 203* thermostat can improve MPG.

do you haul much weight? Is it a 5 speed or a slush-O-matic? What are the gear ratio's. If the truck has 4.11 axle ratio, 3.55 will increase highway mileage 5-6 mph. If you could find a cheap ZF 6 (6 speed from a Superduty) they have a higher OD then the 5 speed and manual trans are better on fuel then autos.

I have a '94 F350 powerstroke, crew cab, single wheel, 5 speed, 2wd, with 3.55 axle ratio. I can get 24-25 mpg empty if I baby it and run 65 mph.

Speed has a lot to do with mpg.

I have a '97 F350 7.3, CC, DRW, 4R100, 2wd, 4.11. That will only get 17-18 mpg empty if I baby it and run 65 mph. I am going to put a ZF6, 3 speed aux. trans (2:1 1st, 1:1 2nd, 1:0.83 3rd) 3.55 rear ratios and an aggressive locking diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts