The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this old faithful Federal 1997 7.3, since 2003 or so.

Recently it has started running out of fuel gradually when on the rear tank. At first it seemed like when the tank was low, now it is pretty much all the time. It will drive fine for a while but pulling a hill it will eventually start to miss and lose power, and switching back to the front it quickly picks up.

What could it be?

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Those trucks use a strainer on the pickup, could be plugged up. Also could be a problem with the lines or connectors. Final thought would be tank vent line plugged, but that would make filling it a hassle too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left the cap loose, no change.

The rear tank is such a pain to get at I want to have my ducks in a row before I start.

It almost seems like it must be an oring on the suction line but I have not known those to go bad on Fords like this. Is this something I should really consider?

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Yeah, bad o-rings on Ford fuel lines aren't uncommon. Pull the bed unless you have a ton of stuff mounted in it. Then you can wash off the tops of both tanks. Take the lines off and install new o-rings in the connectors. Pull the pickup/sender assemblies and check the pickups. If you find a problem with one tank, you'll have it with the other sooner than later so whatever you do, do it to both tanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently replaced the front tank. It had rusted a hole through the bottom. The cause was a small puddle of water in the little sump that never got sucked into the filter because the plunger shaped pickup screen was missing. I fixed all that.

This problem must be different because it happens even when the tank is full. The kicker is that I have been slowly running the tank empty so I can work on it easier and it is near empty and today it pulled some big hills smooth as glass.

Hopefully when I get around to it I can find something definitive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts