The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 Powerstroke stock turbo and injectors my local garage tells me the 97 does not have a waste gate in it so what is the butterfly gate on the discharge side of the turbo? and what will happen if i take it out it seems to be sticking?

·
1,921 Posts
It's an exhaust back pressure valve. It's used to help keep the engine warm and up to operating temps when it's very cool out. You can take it out with no problem unless it's sub freezing temps there it might run cold and take a long time to warm up when cold. It's relativly common for them to stick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks powerstroke winter gets a bit cold here in Utah is there an aftermarket replacement for this or a way to fix it??

·
1,921 Posts
You can replace it. Or I guess you might be able to clean it and reinstall it. It gets carbon build up around the butterfly and shaft which causes it to stick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try putting a large spring on the lever to help it open. I did that over 2 years ago after the dealer was unable to solve my problem. All they could suggest was replacement, so I figured why not? It still works when it's cold and pops right open when warm. Best $2.00 I ever spent!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Try the suggestions, plus clean out the tube under the EBP sensor on the front of the engine. The tube clogging causes the sticky EBPV many times.
-
-
-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts