The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 99.5 f250sd, the axle code is a little different than the 8.8 rears, the codes are more difficult to decipher. what tells me whether it is an open diff or limited slip?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
The tag on the rear end will say "3L73" or something like that.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, actually it wont. mustangs and explorers do, but this tag has nothing like that. the code is c1, which is 3.73 limited slip. apparently the axle manufacturer uses more complicated codes than ford does.

·
8,265 Posts
I have a tag on my early 99 that does say L373 or something to that effect.

I believe the door tag says something simple like C1 to indicate axle code though.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
no, actually it wont. mustangs and explorers do, but this tag has nothing like that. the code is c1, which is 3.73 limited slip. apparently the axle manufacturer uses more complicated codes than ford does.
Want me to take a picture of the tag on my rear axle that says 3L73??? :poke

The C1 code you're talking about is on the door jam sticker, not the rear axle. And the Ford codes are very easy to decipher. If there is a letter in the code, then it has a LS. For example, my F-150 had 3.55 gears with a limited slip. It's code was H9. If it didn't have limited slip, it would have been 19. If you would have spent 2 minutes of Googling "Ford axle codes" you would have found all of this out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts