The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to burn this truck to the ground. We started having problems with it smoking and running out of fuel under load we blew back the line from the pump to the tank and it made no diffference. We then replaced the pump thinking that it was on its way out .......nothing the truck works fine when it is cold but as soon as it heats up thats when we have problems. I have removed the fuel filter from the housing and turned on the key and it just trickles into the housing. I dropped the fuel tank several times thinking that the pickup might be blocked but nothing I plugged the fuel pick up tube and blew into it and does not seem to leak. We replaced the fuel line from the tank to the pump to no avail. We ran the truck with the fuel pick up in a bucket and the truck worked okay we did not get a chance to run it hard with the bucket. Please help before I loose my sanity

·
187 Posts
have you check the line from the pump to the top of the motor you may have one of the felx lines kinked or going bad on the inside. you should have lots of fuel going to the bowl .

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have not checked the line from the pump to the filter housing, but when the truck has acted up we checked the output from the pump and there is very little flow.

·
187 Posts
Dont know what your you have, but you may also have a pluged vent. try leaving the cap to the tank you are running losse or off and see if the flow from the pump is better also check your voltage at the pump,

pull the line at the pump first and check the flow then up top .if it ig good at the pump but not ant the top you have a bad line.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We got it solved. We dropped the tank for the 7th time today and pulled this plastic thing that is attached to the pickup tube it also has the fuel return line attached to it as well. We pulled it off and actually found that it could be taken apart what we found inside were two mesh tubes that were plugged solid with crap we cleaned them up and put it all back together and took it for a test drive. It felt like I was driving a new truck lots of power. So if you guys experience the same problem check that thing out you may suprised how much crap can accumulate over the years

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We did everything but pull that plastic cannister apart. We did not think that it was something that could be taken apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts