The Diesel Garage banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
750 Posts
Welp, pulled the valve covers and had the wifey crank it over....SURE ENOUGH, Injector #4 is DUMPING oil into the valve cover area (#2 was the one I replaced last yr! There are now 7 NEW injectors on order...
I Should mention that these OEM injectors made it 275K, the #2 OEM made it approx 235K before puking, so 200K expectancy isn't too far off!

:happydance Dave, thanks fer the tip! :rock
:usflag Once again, the folks here on TDG come thru! :usflag
You are welcome :), Glad it is on the mend. I thought you had installed a reman not a new injector. It is funny that the one that went before is right next to the one that went this time. good plan with that many miles to just do the rest of them.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, got all the injectors in, just need to torque them....I have 120 in./lbs. as the spec., but am reading some about issues of them coming loose after a few hundred miles---personally have not experienced this, but it got me a little concerned, so what say all???
I have read anything from just re-torquing to spec after a few hundred miles, to tightening as tight as you can get with a 1/4dr ratchet (someone on another forum said SWAMPS recommended this method)!!! NOT a fan of the latter myself, as I would be concerned with distorting the sleeves....

·
750 Posts
Well, got all the injectors in, just need to torque them....I have 120 in./lbs. as the spec., but am reading some about issues of them coming loose after a few hundred miles---personally have not experienced this, but it got me a little concerned, so what say all???
I have read anything from just re-torquing to spec after a few hundred miles, to tightening as tight as you can get with a 1/4dr ratchet (someone on another forum said SWAMPS recommended this method)!!! NOT a fan of the latter myself, as I would be concerned with distorting the sleeves....
120 inch pounds. Do them all then go over them again before you install the valve covers.
Most times they come lose was when the oil in the hole caused a hyd. lock and it didnt torque right to start with. just retork them 10 min later and you will be fine.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I am extremely meticulous when it comes to making sure the sleeves are clean, and all the oil/fuel is out of the combustion chamber... I have an evacuator that has the right size tube to go thru the sleeve hole, then I roll the engine so the piston's down, that way I can get to the lowest point in the combustion chamber... I did double check the torque on all the hold down bolts...120 in./lbs. ---twice; She's GTG...
IT LIVES!!! :happydance :happydance :happydance Primed the HPOP resivoir, then bumped it a couple times to make damn sure it wouldn't hydrolock, then cranked for about 20-30 seconds, she lit!!! Still need to button up a few odds and ends, and burp the air out of it as it still runs abit rough, but IT RUNS!!!! :usflag
Dave, Thanks again for all your insight/help!!!! :rock :rock

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Runs Great!!! Had a small fuel leak coming from the filter housing drain valve---got that resealed....
However, there is a pretty substantial oil leak coming from the right rear corner of the engine....the valley is dry...appears to be coming from the rear main seal cover. :gaah

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
.....there is a pretty substantial oil leak coming from the right rear corner of the engine....the valley is dry...appears to be coming from the rear main seal cover. :gaah
EDIT: The valley is NOT dry, but it also is not soaking wet up by the HPOP; Part of the wetness up there is likely from my changing the IPR solenoid; but there is definitely something else leaking, was quite wet toward the rear of the valley, and when I sprayed it with brake cleaner I could hear it running into the catch pan, so I dove under there and sure enough, it's running from the area where the oil was leaking from! So now I'm not too sure it's the rear main cover; I finished cleaning up the valley with cleaner and a blow gun, let it run for 1/2 hr, but no fresh wet trail of oil as of yet---may need to drive this thing for a spell & recheck---have to head to work for now, but will be at it again tomorrow!!! :) :gaah

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
:happydance I drove this into town to a car wash to wash the engine down, and before doing so, I went ahead and checked the valley---sure enough , HPOP is leaking, and appears to be the rear cover seal (back of the pump); I didn't notice yesterday that a mouse or something had built a nice lil house under the HPOP with what evidently is very good at soaking up oil!!! When I cleaned out the valley out came a bunch of insulation-looking crud....soaked in oil....
out comes the HPOP next week! :rock

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had one where a fitting was leaking on the back of the pump It only took a O ring.
Thanks Dave...
But I cleaned off the pump, and ran it again, confirming the large seal on the rear is indeed leaking--truck's got 275K on it, and the pump's never been changed.... the owner opted for replacing the entire pump for that reason rather than trying to reseal this one.

·
750 Posts
Hey just wondering But what are new injectors going for? i HAVE A GUY WITH 265k miles and I think we will be replacing his soon and he ask how much they are. also where do you get them? you can pm me if you dont want it on the board.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Welp, this one's fixed! NO MO OIL LEAK!!! Turns out not only was the rear pump cover seal leaking, but the little ball bearing thingy on the bottom of the pump housing (under the IPR chamber) was also leaking! Soooo, replacing the HPOP was in the end the best decision on this one...:usflag

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not sure if it's like new--it's got 273K on the clock! :roflol:
But it does run really well, and it's no longer leaving a nice "can't get lost" trail of sheeny shiny slippery stuff!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Soooooo, Thread from the Dead....The Author of this Thread....IS ME. BTW, the truck this thread is about is STILL out there rockin' at over 400K! >:)
Apparently I have been nixxed from using MY original username???

What Gives TDG????? :wtf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this Forum really THIS DEAD? Man, looked around abit, and I swear I did an intro thread with my old username (strokinit), but nothing comes up in a search on here....hmmmm...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts