The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that this is about trucks, but I am having the biggest problem with the transmission in a car. Even though information can be found elsewhere, I seem to keep getting all the wrong answers. I can always depend on the help I get here in the garage. Anyway, It's a 1997 Camaro with a 4L60E transmission. After having this one rebuilt (by someone other than us) It had been operating fine until one day he went in to a store for about 30 minutes. Now 1st and 2nd are fine it goes into 3rd, but won't hold. It slipps. 4th is the same as 3rd. We have pulled the pan and we don't see clutches and the fluid looks good and doesn't smell burnt. If anyone can advise us on the problem or on the fix, we would be very gratefull. Thanks to all who read and consider this. You guys will always be my favorite help in the shop.:confused::rock

·
Diesel Nut
17 Posts
Could be a shift valve solenoid since those are electronically shifted... Scan it for codes and see if any come up...

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
If 1st and 2nd work; it's probably not a solenoid. The solenoids are in gear sets. 1+4 is solenoid A and 2+3 is solenoid B.

I honestly think 3&4 clutches are gone. This is very common.

If it didn't go into 3 at all, you might have a sprag broken as well.

·
2,710 Posts
when your running around town you take it out of OD right ?

My trans shop guy strongly urged me never to use OD below 45mph nor in stop n go traffic.
My 4L60E has been holding up to a well built 406SBC ! once i started following his guide lines.

If you have been running OD 24/7 it is possable you did some damage.

Mike

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Mike; Your 4L60E probably has the upgraded servo and VB. Was it a factory 350 TPI car?

·
2,710 Posts
Nope it actually came factory with the LO-5 350TBI not the LO-3 305TBI some special order deal for a big wig, how ever the GM TBI is not whats on my 406. . .

Mike

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I was just asking because the 350 TPI cars had some different parts, more like the ones in the 'Vette. I had an '87 with the 305 TBI roller motor.

·
2,710 Posts
I have the commander 950 system running my 406. . .
but the trans wasn't touched it's still set up how it was with the 350TBI, only thing altered was the shift points.

I don't even run the 6.5er's OD in town.

I would see if the person or shop that built your trans has a look at it, tells you what it needs free of charge and you go else where to fix it tho. . .

Mike

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We decided that transmission was way too much trouble to figure out and installed one that we understand. Thanks for the advice, sorry we weren't able to use it.

·
2,710 Posts
Thanks for reporting back and posting the out come.

Some guys leave ya hanging, making you wonder WTF happened...

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts