The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...as stated in my earlier post I'm new here (new to diesels as well)...I'm on a limited budget so while I'm after performance I'm also after reliablity and mileage. (aren't we all with the price of diesel) Just got my gauges (haven't gotten 'em on yet) and installed a AFE stage II intake/filter assy. I was told that instead of a box/tuner/chip the safest way and easiest on the pump to make power was injectors or nozzles. (remember the budget) I intend also install a 4" exhaust.

A site sponsor (Dominator) has nozzels to upgrade the injectors, do I really need a "pop" test and where would I get one in my area???

TIA,
John

·
706 Posts
You need to tell us what your performance goal is,do you tow heavy? I agree ,injectors are the best way to make Hp with a Vp44 24V.The thing is you need to limit your Hp gain to about 50hp.If you go any more you need a boost fooler,and a boost elbow to raise the boost.My advice is to comb the calssified for a used Edge EZ box,it will give a nice gain in power,and it has both those needed items(boost elbow and boost fooler) included.Then your free to find a set of injectors tha fit your budget,( I recommend Don M Mach 1.5)and the combination of the EZ box and a small 50-100Hp injector will give you a responsive,strong running truck that should be ok with a strong,stock clutch,and will be ok as far as EGTS go with all but the biggest trailers.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Okay, I went with bigger injectors off the bat, I wish now that I had a box first. The box will add timing as well as fuel and make more USABLE power. A box will add mid range power where injectors will really do it up top of the RPM band. You don't rap it up to the rev limiter every time you run through the gears, buy a box first.

Also, a box will more than likely help your mileage, injectors usually don't hurt mileage, they made no difference with my truck mileage wise.

I have been through (in order)

RV 275's

Replaced stock clutch

Added a Raptor box (Early Edge EZ clone)

Replaced the 275's with DDIII's

Replaced clutch again

Replaced Raptor box with Edge Drag Comp

I have good power, pretty decent mileage and lots of smoke when I want it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John DiMartino said:
You need to tell us what your performance goal is,do you tow heavy?
I'd like to mod this truck just short of the need for a new clutch, eventually adding that as well. (and more mods down the road) I don't do much towing but want to be able to, I also from time to time carry upwards of 1500 lbs in the bed (I'm in construction) and I use this truck as my daily driver commuting as much as 3-500 miles some days...My biggest fear is spending about $1500 on mods only to wish I had it all back for a VP44...

Thanks folks for your suggestions...guess the nozzles are out and so are the injectors...I only have about $800 left to spend...Oh yeah, I don't pound on this truck but I like turning up the volume once in a while :D

·
706 Posts
So,go spend 300 or so on a used EZ,and you should be able to find a set of nozzles with the remaining 500 easily.The ez will give you 200ft lbs of torque at 2000RPM,and 60hp at 2000rpm,the gain drops to 35hp or so at 2700.The box is harder on the clutch than injectors.If you cannot find a used EZ,i have one under another name,shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you plan on adding more power down the road, then I suggest finding a used comp and leaving the wire untapped for now and getting a set of 275 injectors after that. Then once you upgrade the clutch you can tap the wire on the comp and get a bunch more power. For what it's worth, I ran the comp and 275 injector combo and made 371hp. More than enough to blow my stock auto apart and I till got 20mpg with it.

·
345 Posts
swmnkdinthervr,
For $800 we can get you a really nice setup. I would use a van Aaken R box rather than a Edge EZ. It brings on the power low so you get a lot nicer power gain. Also you can get a new R box for about the same price as a used EZ. We can also do a set of tips or a set of 275's for you at a really good price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get a complete set of Jammer Stage 5's from City Diesel for less than $400.Theyre 150hp inj and will alow you plenty of grow room.I carry alot of stuff in my bed most of the time too and I have ZERO problems with egt's.

You will walk right thru your clutch if its still factory though...

·
1,055 Posts
I agree with the comp, I have not tapped my pump wire yet. You get the same as an EZ w/o the tap, but when you want more you can tap your wire and get the other settings.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
An Edge EZ (or similar clone) with a set of RV275's will make a really nice driving rig with good power, low EGT's and same or better mileage. IIRC that is the same setup David Dunbar uses in his 3500 that he tows the dyno with, all 23k of it.

He is still on the stock clutch last I talked to him on it, the 5spds have a stronger clutch from the factory than 6spds like mine, go figure :shrug:

You're on the right track :Thumbup:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Billysgoat said:
An Edge EZ (or similar clone) with a set of RV275's will make a really nice driving rig with good power
with Intake and Exhaust I recommend.

And you should see mileage increase big time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whew...a lot to take in...you guys are great (a lot like the Harley forum I belong to) lemmie see...I have the intake...a box and nozzles/injectors...exhaust is next...think I got it...

Thanks,
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts