The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to diesels. Im choosing between a ford 7.3 and a dodge cummins..i have a hard time bringing myself to buying a dodge because i really like fords, but the gas milage that they get is amazing. my friend has a 2003 cummins 2500 with a chip and intake and exhaust and with his chip turned all the way up he gets around 27mpg on the highway.

if i am to get a 7.3 stock either 2wd or 4wd what milage should i expect?

if i am to get a 7.3 and modify it (i.e. chip, intake, turbo back exhaust [either stacks or just out the rear], new turbo impeller...and probably a torque converter and a valve body just to help the tranny out) anyone with close to these specs?

·
6,337 Posts
Your buddy is full of it... I do believe the cummins will get better milage then the PSD when build right, but the only way he is getting 27mpg is if he is up on a flatbed getting towed...

Stock 7.3 will get you about 13-18mpg... Moded with chip and stuff, 13-20 maybe...

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
Yah 27 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA RIGHT.....

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Your buddy is full of it... I do believe the cummins will get better milage then the PSD when build right, but the only way he is getting 27mpg is if he is up on a flatbed getting towed...

Stock 7.3 will get you about 13-18mpg... Moded with chip and stuff, 13-20 maybe...
on the back of a FORD wrecker right? LOL

·
2,509 Posts
my brother has a stock 2wd psd with a 6 speed getting almost 21mpg

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
I wont know my Milage till i get back. But last year i was making around 16-18 city and 18-20 highway. only once on a trip back from Georgia i made 24 hand calculated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do you have done to your truck? i was planning on getting a good chip...either edge or flashpack or banks 6 shooter? any suggestions? i need somewhere around high teens low 20s will be great!

we had 3 dirtbikes in the bed of his truck going down the interstate5 freeway to san diego and the mpg meter was reading at 27 and high 26s...dont know how accurate those things are but he said it seemed accurate when he calcuated at the end of our trip.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
They are NOT accurate, and that one is very far off...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Once a chip is added the overhead mileage indicators get confused and are no longer accurate. The only accurate way is the fill the tank to the top of the filler neck (Carefully) and then fill back to the same spot and calculate by hand.

·
1,921 Posts
When you start adding chips and injectors to those truck the mileage meter gets way off. The only way you can check it is by actually calculating it by hand.

·
6,337 Posts
Best milage I ever got was with an old superchip 1700 tuner... but it sucked for everything else...

Forget about banks or any of that other crap... Get a flip chip so you can change on the fly.

The banks 6 gun on the 7.3 is a over priced 10-18k mod...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info! what about the read outs on the chips themselves? say if you have an edge tuner and it has an Ave mpg read out...are those accurate?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how did that flip chip help with your milage?

and those edge tuners arent as good?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
mxchase said:
how did that flip chip help with your milage?

and those edge tuners arent as good?
I love the Edge Tuners... Had the Edge Evo on my 1999 F-150, and got the Juice with Attitude on my 7.3. The MPG readout was pretty good on my Edge Evo on the F-150, but only if I drove it the same through the entire tank... Oh yeah, highway MPG on level 3 (drive) is about 16 - 18 mpg for me, done by hand.

·
6,337 Posts

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
I have an edge juice w/attidue and have to say they suck.

SCT 100 times better, hopefully nexy month I can get mine

·
6,337 Posts
kip said:
I have an edge juice w/attidue and have to say they suck.

SCT 100 times better, hopefully nexy month I can get mine
Skip the SCT and get a chip... Nothing sucks more then having to "download" your programing to change settings...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya, i have an 06 f150 and i liked my edge that i had on it...my friend with his dodge has a programmer that takes like 10 minutes to download and i dont want that at all. i am really just concerned with mpg first and foremost....what about stacking chips? what does it mean? bennefits?

another one of my buddies has a duramax and he has something inside the engine bay thats a chip (i want to say its a banks power pack or something?) and then inside he has the banks 6 shooter

·
Diesel Enthusiast
234 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Skip the SCT and get a chip... Nothing sucks more then having to "download" your programing to change settings...

:whs I agree 100% I have both and have been through multiple brands, I love having a chip and be able to change on the fly.

·
0 Posts
I currently have a DP Tuner F5 in my truck. In the 80 econo mode...going down the highway unloaded and watching the rpm needle (don't go over 2k) I will get around 20...14 to 16 in town.

With his tow program...I will get from 9 to 13 towing...depending upon wind status (with me or against me).

When it comes to 7.3L tuning...the best you could do for your truck would be a tune written for it...not an off the shelf tune you would get with a tuner. And most agree that Jody at DP is one of the best...if not The best when it comes to tuning the 7.3L.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts