The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just a post to help possiably repair your ford trucks over head data display. Mile to empty, compas, out side temp display.
My display is located in the Center on the head liner console between the driver side and passanger side.
My display was getting dimmer as the years went by.
Finaly one day it was so dim it could not be read.
After removing the display circuit board. I took pictures of it With my smart phone camera. With the nakid eye the problem could not be seen. Once I Zoomed in to the picture the problem was obvious. The soldiered micro capacitors were de-soldering from the board. After examinined the picture close I found 5 mini capacitors that needed to be soldiered. I used a 500 watt halogen utility light. A magnifying lense. A Weller fine tip soldering iron. (Very pointy.) a 9" tweezers (harbor freight) . One capacitor was real stuborn, it was located in a bad spot for soldiering. It needed extrap persuading. I soldiered 5 mini capacitors back onto the PCB and reinstalled it. It was now as bright as the day it rolled of the line.
Hope that helps someone.
The picture i attached is an image of miniature capacitors. The ones i repaired were 1.5 to 2mm long. The bottom row, 2nd 3rd and 4th one. look like the ones on my PCB. There was one that was a pain in the keaster.

Attachments

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
There are guys who offer this service for $20-30, if you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself, but it is not hard to do yourself and can be accomplished in about 30 minutes if you're diligent. There are YouTube tutorials and many forum posts on the subject for reference as well.

I did my E99 last year, works perfect since, if by perfect you accept that the estimated fuel milage can be off by 50% or more depending on your tuning. There are also "Zones" for the compass that will calibrate the compass if your compass reading seems to be incorrect compared to an actual compass of a smart phone app.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check, all the Mini capacitors, and all other soldiered connections on the PCB. You may yet have another soldier contact that needs repair. Once, all contacts were Identified and repaired the one in my truck good as factory new.
The glass will always be half full.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts