The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
A/R is a ratio, so it can vary from turbo to turbo. A= Area of exhaust inlet and R= Radius of the housing from the center of the turbine wheel to the center of the exhaust inlet. The Area divided by the Radius is your A/R. So really you need to know your A/R and either the inlet area or the Radius, you can't figure it out with 2 variables remaining, there are too many possibilities.

What turbos did you have in mind? If you know the inlet type, like T3 for example, that will give you a decent idea of what you're dealing with since most t3's will have roughly the same inlet area.
Sean

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sstockton said:
A/R is a ratio, so it can vary from turbo to turbo. A= Area of exhaust inlet and R= Radius of the housing from the center of the turbine wheel to the center of the exhaust inlet. The Area divided by the Radius is your A/R. So really you need to know your A/R and either the inlet area or the Radius, you can't figure it out with 2 variables remaining, there are too many possibilities.

What turbos did you have in mind? If you know the inlet type, like T3 for example, that will give you a decent idea of what you're dealing with since most t3's will have roughly the same inlet area.
Sean

The turbo kit i want is from turbonetics. It is a stage 2 turbo for powering up to 550 HP. 66MM compressor wheel. 68 mm or 69 mm turbine wheel, and the the turbine housing comes .81 A/R but i am going with a .68 A/R for better spooling on the street. It also comes with a full 4" opening at the back of the turbo for a 4" downpipe which is in the kit.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah the smaller A/R will work better for you. The bigger A/R will allow you to flow more exhaust, but if you're looking for quick spool up and building boost go with the smaller housing.
Sean

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sstockton said:
Yeah the smaller A/R will work better for you. The bigger A/R will allow you to flow more exhaust, but if you're looking for quick spool up and building boost go with the smaller housing.
Sean
:thanks: i appreciate the help. :Thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts