The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed my fan belts were loose. Its about time for them to be changed anyway so that could be why...... But at that very moment I looked at my Harmonic Balancer. It was just a reaction to do so. Anyway I noticed it was wobbling some.

Is that normal? I'm thinking not but just wanted to make sure. It has over a million miles on it.

Ok, now for the puffing....

The other night coming thru Nashville I happened to look up and noticed a puff of smoke coming out the exhaust. It was dark so I can't tell you what color. Nothing felt different, no hiccup or stumble. I was holding the throttle steady at the time.

I stopped up the road and checked everything I can without tearing it apart. Everything was running fine.

The next day coming up I-71 in KY I really payed attention to see if it happened again and noticed that when in a hard pull I have a steady stream of smoke/haze and also some puffing (black smoke). It seems more than normal.

Could it be an injector going out? I replaced the B&P's at the end of summer so I don't think they would be the culprit?

Sorry for being long winded but I figured it was needed to know. Plus I have a killer headache that I got when I was out at the garage and I left my thinking cap out there too!

·
Big Cam Power!!!!!
484 Posts
I would replace the balancer the other issue idk what type of engine

·
2,555 Posts
maybe a bit of nozzle slobber?? are you getting normal boost and EGT? (timing)
I would change the damper , esp. if it is wobbling, ring seperation can be $$$$

·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would replace the balancer the other issue idk what type of engine
Sorry, its a 4MG b model.

Ok so whats the good balancer to get and where from?

379LongHood yeah everything is running normal except I did notice the turbo running up to 800* but it was warmer out and the filter is due to be replaced. The trucks also due for an oil change. When I got back up north with the colder temps the turbo never headed up past 650*.

·
2,555 Posts
I think the viscous damper from Cat is not much more than the aftermarket. oldnotslow had a thread on it not too long ago.

Reactions: Les2

·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked back and all I could find was the 167-8126 dampener.... is that the one I want?

·
410 Posts
167-8126 is the current damper for the 4MG, it is a viscous type. You will also need a spacer ring to go under the bolts in place of the washers that were on the original damper. That is about another $50. I bought mine from Cat even though the same damper is available for a little less on some other sites. I like not having to deal with anyone but Cat for warranty and compatibility issues. I believe all the dampers are made by Fluidamper, not sure though.

I also have a 4MG. In the right light conditions I can see a little grey haze from my exhaust on a hard pull but I am turned up a little with a little larger injectors. When the EGT gets up around 850 it clears up. No puffing though. Possibly a little something got past the fuel filters? Running good fuel?

·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They haze is pretty normal but the puffing had me concerned. It may be caused by the filters needing changed. Them and the oil have 14k on them so they are due.

I got a dampener coming tomorrow.

·
631 Posts
Les

Do you have a viscous damper on the truck now? The reason I ask is............the only time I've seen one of those wobble, the crank was broke.

·
2,555 Posts
Filters would be my first step also.

·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Les

Do you have a viscous damper on the truck now? The reason I ask is............the only time I've seen one of those wobble, the crank was broke.
Original damper, its got the rubber in between.

Ouch, well that's not very nice. Way to walk up and take a huge dump in a guys Cheerios! :)
No doubt! If Mr. Haney turns out to be right, you want to ride over and watch me give him a swift kick in the boys....:haha

Then steal his Pete, bring it over here and give it a real workout...LOL

·
533 Posts
No doubt! If Mr. Haney turns out to be right, you want to ride over and watch me give him a swift kick in the boys....:haha

Then steal his Pete, bring it over here and give it a real workout...LOL
I'm just glad he's not a Dr. "Well the good news is your bill will be cheaper than we thought, bad news is it's because you've got 15min to live!":kick:haha

I believe I could distract him with a shiny turbo housing while you take his truck. Just pick me up around the corner.

Here Kurt, here's a pic of your new twins for your truck. That sound you hear is not your truck starting.:peelout:coal

·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just glad he's not a Dr. "Well the good news is your bill will be cheaper than we thought, bad news is it's because you've got 15min to live!":kick:haha

I believe I could distract him with a shiny turbo housing while you take his truck. Just pick me up around the corner.

Here Kurt, here's a pic of your new twins for your truck. That sound you hear is not your truck starting.:peelout:coal
Oh WOW! Distracting him with those would work for sure....

Them are almost as good as...., boobs..:D

·
631 Posts

Oh WOW! Distracting him with those would work for sure....

Them are almost as good as...., boobs..:D
with friends like you two............who needs enemies.

I'll admit those turbos got my attention.................boobs...........if they're as nice a set as those turbos..........they'd really have my attention

·
2,824 Posts
You guys are nuts, if those two get a hold of your truck kurt you will get it back, it will just be in a bunch of boxes full of broken parts. LOL

Reactions: Les2

·
533 Posts
You guys are nuts, if those two get a hold of your truck kurt you will get it back, it will just be in a bunch of boxes full of broken parts. LOL
Yea but you wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off my face with a hammer!:haha

Les you get that dinosaur fixed yet?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts