The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im getting one of these for a buddy and i know that they have a 8-hp tune and a 120hp tune. Now my question is can my buddy run 120hp tune with his stock tranny or should he jsut stay with the 80hp tune all the time? Also wats the highest tune he can use for towing??
Thanks

·
6,337 Posts
You can run what ever setting your EGT's will allow... I can tow in my extream if I feel like it. His tranny is not going to be happy with anything above stock, might last, might not...

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
I had jody tune my 120 race chip to have the transgo tugger kit installed. I've had it in there for awhile, sometimes not being nice to it and the tranny is still fine. But, i am saving for a new one incase my luck changes. Your friend wont regret Dp tuner. Especially when he's passing folks with banks stickers:evil:

·
386 Posts
I run mine on 140 aggressive all the time, the throttle response is excellent, maybe a bit too touchy for city parking but you get used to it quick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It all depends how he drives it. It the foot is at the floor then I doubt the tranny will last too long as that's a bunch of added HP and torque for the stocker to take.

337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Yea my buddy has a heavy right foot so ill probably just tell him to stay with the 80hp tune unles i can convince him not to beat the extreme tune too much. Also he doesnt really drive the truck a lot only has 30000 miles on it and its and 02 mainly just to tow his fifth wheel the 80hp tune shouldnt be a problem should it??
Thanks

·
Registered
596 Posts
80-tow might be ok, the 80-Econo is probably not a good idea if he is going to tow with it. How heavy is his trailer? The 80-Tow might be a little hot unless he has a better turbo or a better intercooler, maybe both. You mention getting a chip, if that is the case get several programs. Get him a 60,80 tow program maybe the 80 econo and the 120 or 140 program. Then he can decide how much power he needs at the time.

337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His trailer i would have to say is probably about 13000 lbs. Do u think the 80 tow will run that hot?? To me it doesnt seem like a problem but im a 6.0 guy so let me know what you guys think.
Thanks

·
4,024 Posts
I'd use the 60 tow for that weight. When mine was stock (mostly) the 80 econ. was my daily driver position and I used 60 tow for anything over 10k. The best thing would be to watch the egt gauge and decide what works best for his truck. Diane at dp recomended I go with 60 tow, 80 econ. and 120 race when we discussed what the truck was used for. The tranny shifts on the 60 tow are set up really nice for towing.:Thumbup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I only have the 60hp tow program, so I can't speak to the 80T. I scale out between 22-26K GCVW (13-17K trailer weight +/- a bit for water, etc.) and tow in the 60T program. With that I never had an EGT issue. I don't need any more power while towing as I can go up everything around here at 65-70MPH without a problem.

I use the 120 as my driver program. I don't hardly drive the truck unless the trailer is attached, so I didn't see a need for the 80-econo. For a truck that is a daily driver the 80E might be nice for the fuel economy, I think the throttle response is decent in the 80E judging from other peoples trucks I have driven.

Whatever you choose you won't be sorry with DP Tunes.

·
161 Posts
anyone run a superchip before switching to DP? what was the MPG difference?

·
Registered
204 Posts
brietwyk said:
anyone run a superchip before switching to DP? what was the MPG difference?
How much power difference could you expect?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts